Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkrup44

P. herbertiana

jkrup44
14 years ago

Hello everybody. I have a P. herbertiana plant on the way from GK. Their "shipping season" is over, but I had a previous agreement with her and was on the waiting list. Elizabeth tells me that P. herbertiana shouldn't have any trouble dealing with the mild Florida winters. I wonder if it will mind the heat.Anyway, has anybody grown this before or currently growing this one? Any advice? Thanks.

Josh

Comments (5)

• passionlove
    14 years ago

Hi Josh,
    I had two small P. Herbertiana plants - One I got as a small cutting and one I got as a small plant from Butterfly World, which is in a little bit warmer climate. Both of the plants did not look very healthy from the get go.

I can tell you that they were both very infested with spide mites and were too small for me to stop it in time. It seemed like they really attract them here in FL too. I also have a P.Aurantia, which attracts spider mites just the same, but it is ok because I received it as a decent sized specimen. I do have other Passiflora that attract mites, but not nearly as bad as these two Australian specimens.

It does seem that the P.Aurantia is doing better now that the weather has cooled down a little, but so are all the other Passiflora.

This information doesn't quite answer your question, but hopefully your plant will be a nice size and can get established easier.

I do believe that once they are established, they should not do too bad. I have read that other Florida growers do well with both of these vines.
    Good luck to you!

• jkrup44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. The P. herbertiana plant I received was not very big, but was fairly healthy looking. It survived the recent cold snap last week, but it now looks pretty rough. Hopefully with a dose of warmer weather and a little TLC it will recover and I'll be able to show off pictures of the flower this summer.

Josh

• wilmington_islander
    14 years ago

mine was killed last year at 28 degrees...with virtually no root system.

• jkrup44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update - the P. herbertiana died back to the ground, but has now sprouted back up. It looks like it will be just fine.

Josh

• Ernesto Sanz
    7 years ago

Hello everybody,

I am a graduate student, from Tennessee Tech University, working on the pollination and taxonomy of Passiflora aurantia, P. herbertiana and P. cinnabarina. I am looking for seeds or specially cuttings. I was wondering if anybody have P. herbertiana and if you could send me some cuttings?

Thank you very much in advance. I really appreciate your help.

Sponsored