Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raylandmaun

Sloping Back Yard

RaylandMaun
21 years ago

have and area in back of the house that slopes and when it rains water runs down and washes top soil away,I have solved part of the problem with 16 pickup loads of river soil filling where water was standing after rain .My yard is about 300ft or 100 metres long 150 ft or 50 metres wide at bottom,and 35 metres or 105 ft. wide at rear.The area that I need to cultivate and plant trees ,vegatables or what have you ,that slopes is the 35 metres wide by about 10 metres long.It just drops about 2 ft from rear .So I want to do something like terracing accross the width to stop the water after rains.We have a large vegatble garden where is flat 6x27 metres so it really doesnt matter too much what we do with this area but we will definitely plant some trees ,we have planted hedges along the fence.We also will replace most of the top soil from down near the river as is very sandy on the slope.I need suggestions as havent found anything so far about this problem .I could take a photo of the area and post it if needed.I live in a remote area in Africa.Thank you ,

Comments (5)

• mike_stubbs
    21 years ago

Rayland, your idea of terracing is one way to do it but probably a lot of work. Instead of doing all that work what about putting in swales 3-4 meters apart? You can also plant trees, shrubs, vines and grasses on the downhill side of the swale.
    Mike

• RaylandMaun
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your answer and suggestion.Well I didnt know what a swale was but I do now,thanks to the Internet so I learned something new today.I dont think that is the answer to our situation tho.The slope is not that steep and I solved the water standing after rains at the bottom by filling in with about 15 pick up loads of soil.But I am going to look further at the swale idea first.Work doesnt bother me as i have a great wife and kids to help,my wife and i built our 7 room brick house ourself, she mixed the cement and sand and I layed the bricks.I am a missionary here and not much finances to work with.
    Verl

• Belgianpup
    21 years ago

Planting trees where water stands might help, too. A grown tree can suck up thousands of gallons of water.

The swales are a good idea, & less work than terracing. Anything that will slow down the run of water will help. Even planting just clover will help.

Sue

• RaylandMaun
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thank uou Sue for your suggestions also.Well I have solved the water standing problem by getting about 16 pickup loads of soil and it rained just after and what little areas that we missed we filled those.The slope is really not as bad as some people have.I have started yesterday turning the soil at the top 1 metre wide accros the slope.I havent decided exactly what we are going to do but i will probably do that all accross the slope.Yes we will be planting trees and what ever other wonderful plants we can find here.We have planted hedges all along the fence.You all have given me plenty ideas so far and I appeciate it.My wife and I are not afraid of work,whatever it takes will be done.Thank you
    Verl

• cfoegen
    20 years ago

Shalom Rayland

We too have slopping land on our property and we have handled this in part by making our gardens perpendicular to the water flow though we still loose the garden in early spring and late fall because of the water is so extensive (mulching becomes extremely important for saving top soil but doesn't always work). Also we have planted in bushes and trees throughout to slow the flow through gardens and this year we are putting in a circular herb garden for the same reason (also the slow the wind). Still one day we plan to dig a trench and create a creek that will run through our garden to relieve the stress of the excess water and channel this water away from the main vegetable gardens so we use them year round. We also plan to direct this water down this meandering man made creek and into a duck pond L-rd willing.

Shalom,
    C & C