Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alina_1

Tree Peonies on sale

alina_1
16 years ago

Just in case anyone is interested. Mixed (unnamed) Tree Peonies are on 70% off sale now at Park's. I bought one last year, it did well, I had 1 bloom on it this year.

So if you do not care about the color, it is a good choice for beginners or for those who want to get a Tree Peony at a bargain price.

Tree Peony at Park's

My Tree Peony bought on such sale last year

{{gwi:585856}}

Comments (11)

• jayco
    16 years ago

Wow, nice pic! Can I ask, how big was the plant when you bought it? And also, does Parks require a minimum order? Thanks for thr tip!

• alina_1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As far as I remember, it was about 1' long. Looked like 1-2 year graft. They do not require a minimum order, but shipping cost is flat $9.95 this year :-( I ordered plants for $68 to make shipping reasonable. Perennials and bushes are at amazing prices, so I hope I will not regret...

• jayco
    16 years ago

Thanks Alina!

• missys23
    16 years ago

Thank you for the link. I just bought some. I can't wait to see what I get.

• artemis_pa
    16 years ago

Hi, I also ordered a couple from Park's. I have no experience with tree peonies and seem to lack the green thumb with regular peonies. Can I ask you for your personal experience with planting yours? Full sun, soil, mulch, winter protection, etc.
    Thanks.

• alina_1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My TP I bought from Park's last year is potted. I used Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting mix. It is recommended to plant them deep enough to stimulate root growth above grafting point. Oh, I soaked bareroot TPs before planting for 6-24 hours in tepid water. All my TP (potted) survived very harsh winter without any protection. I did not mulch them because I had huge problem with earwigs last year. They received full sun for 4 hours a day, then dappled shade.
    Overall, I got an impression that they are tough and relatively easy to grow plants.

• rian
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Alina. What a great price! I have just planted the 3 that I ordered. They were all described as lilac colored. Did anyone get white, yellow, pink or red?

I was hoping for one that will look like yours. It is gorgeous!

• alina_1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are very welcome Rian.
    It is really interesting, my TP I got from them was marked as Mixed Tree Peony, so I had no idea what color it will be. I guess, I have some 'surpise' TP from Van Bourgondien also, they are notorious for sending mislabeled plants. They were smaller, weaker and more expensive also, even on 50% sale. So if I will get many Peonies with the same color, we can swap them :-)

• artemis_pa
    16 years ago

Thanks Alina. Question...you said; It is recommended to plant them deep enough to stimulate root growth above grafting point.
    How deep above the graft site do you plant a TP?
    I'm going to plant my 2 TP's directly in the yard. Would you use the potting prep in the yard? I have some prep soil I use when planting roses. Iplanning mixing that in with the yard soil.
    I don't want to be pessimistic...but I'm not too confident about these. In my old house I inherited glorious peonies. No problems! Now since we moved 7 years ago I've tried numerous times planting new peonies and have had very limited luck. Botrytis blight has been an issue. I've been careful not to plant them too deep, etc. Prayed and danced and nothing has worked. sigh.........
    I literally ordered these TP's by mistake on the Park's website! I had looked at them online while I was placing an order for some roses and other flowers. After I checked out and paid I read closer and realized I had added 2 TP's! Now the challenge begins!

• alina_1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Artemis,
    I am not an expert. That was actually my first TP. I read that they should be planted so that the grafting point is at least 4-6" below the soil surface. I planted my TP as deep as possible for the first bud to be above ground. It made 3-4" of soil above graft. Here are a couple of links that might be useful
    Article 1
    Article 2
    Just note that the recommended time for planting TP is fall. I planted my babies (all 5-6 of them) last summer, at about same time. All of them are doing great. Maybe, you should nurse your TP in 1-2 G pot and replant it in the garden in fall. It would give you more control. I do this with my baby Clematis and other plants.
    Good luck!

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Artemis, try making a raised area to plant your next herbaceous peonies. By raising the surface you will allow the water to run off faster. Botryis likes moist conditions by raising the area you may eliminate the moist condition. Also ask for Bordoux, I drink the wine but can'ts spell it, mix. I think it is copper sulfate so if you have a problem with sulfa's have someone apply for you.