Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kikiristijan

mediterranian permakulture?how to disign orchard,vineyard,garden

kikiristijan
17 years ago

i need some praktical advises, which plants fit together and support eachother in an mediterranian area (i live in kroatia)

what fits with olives?

how to disign the orchard?

What about some selfseeding vegitabels?

Disignig a vineyard?

where can i find some meditarranian support.somebody must have some experience.

I dont fell like inventing the weel new, and repeating all mistakes.

kiki

Comments (2)

• gardenlen
    17 years ago

g'day kiki,

looks like no one with aprticular info' for you, so if you get down to basics and common sense you will most likley end up with what is needed.

don't worry about what grows with what, plant it and if it grows that is all you want at the end of the day, if it doesn't try something else.

lots of things will self seed if you let them top of the lists are the mustards, lettuces (loose leaf) & tomatoes, i have had pumpkins and cucumbers self seed.

the best design is to simply plant along the contours, this enables you to incorporate swales and row mulching along the tree lines and vine lines etc.

so a little common sense will go along way.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• cjoynson
    17 years ago

Or, you could pick up a copy of Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, by Toby Hemenway,John Todd. It will get you started. A lot of the recommendations translate very nicely to interior/coastal California, also Mediterrenean.

The only really explicit guild they give is the black walnut (a blessing since black walnuts kill so many of their playmates), but you can get a good idea of what to look for in your supporting plants.

Just tossing out seeds like len suggested is a fun idea, but can get expensive. And, I wonder if it isn't a little like inviting the relatives to all-you-can-eat. Someone's got to replenish the buffet. Making sure you've got a nice, long-term nitrogen fixer, a nutrient accumulator, and some mulch and organic matter producers seems like it might be worth a little research. Especially to the lazy among us who hate fussing over the compost bin.

I'm looking for info on an Olive guild myself - would love to hear what you come up with. I've only seen them in orchards or standing alone, sentinel on some heat-baked hillside. Will they put up with an understory?

I've got some good natives to work with, but I don't want to over-run the place with Ceanothus.

Sponsored