Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

Big Wind

MiaOKC
10 years ago

Get ready. Came through okc half hour ago and is still going. Batten down the hatches! Anything loose will be in Houston tomorrow!

Comments (5)

• MiaOKC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mesonet says we had 53 mph winds here yesterday and I believe it - we were grilling and it was beautiful weather just at dark and then suddenly the wind went nuts, blowing things all over the yard. Some neighbor's tree limbs down, mostly pear trees of course. Bumping this down.

• Lynn Dollar
    10 years ago

I lost shingles off the roof and did not even realize we had a storm go through. I went out on the patio at 10 pm and saw a shingle and had no idea where it came from :)

But the roof was already in bad shape from the May 31 storms.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

When I was watching The Weather Channel last night, Dr. Forbes was showing the gustline that formed ahead of the thunderstorms and was blasting through OK as he was speaking. He showed it on the radar, and I thought "Uh oh". Some areas had winds in the 60s about then. He said it would run out of steam after it came through OKC, and I guess it did.

Mia, Maybe the storm was doing your neighborhood a favor. Every windstorm that brings down an ornamental pear tree is trying to tell people something.....like "hey, don't plant those brittle Bradford Pears or I'll bring them down". The wind always wins eventually, and those pears are so overplanted that it isn't even funny. Maybe when enough limbs come down, the neighbors will replace them with a high-quality tree.

LCDollar, Isn't it strange how you can be inside and not realize the wind is roaring outside? That seems to be especially true when the air conditioner is running and making just enough noise that strong wind is sort of drowned out until you walk outdoors.

Dawn

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Sharon and I were walking through the neighborhood when it hit. When it started it felt heavenly! By the time I was getting closer to my house it was feeling like a sand storm. My contacts were not loving it so much :)

• MiaOKC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LC, We had a long sliver of asphalt shingle come down while I was corralling swim rafts (one blew right into a rosebush and popped, darn it!) but I think it was one that had been trimmed yet not detached when we had a roof put on last fall.

Lisa, forecasters were mentioning haboob sandstorms in relation to this wind, and my contacts agreed with yours!

Dawn - completely agree. And I despise the smell of them in the spring, so do not know why anyone would plant them! Every new development around here seems to have an obligatory Bradford pear in the front yard, though.