Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiefamily_gw

bamboo stakes

okiefamily
14 years ago

I really like the look of bamboo stakes but have found the five footers too short once inserted into the dirt.

Has anybody seen longer ones anywhere? If so is there any place to buy them, I can go as far north as OKC or south as Ardmore.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• shekanahh
    14 years ago

You might find some of the tall wild bamboo growing along country roads and/or alleyways and cut the lengths you want. You would have to strip the leaves and maybe let them cure. Maybe not, but the big one ares pretty thick and sturdy.
    I may do that myself and make some trellis's for my flowering vines lashing the bamboo together in a criss cross fashion with heavy twine.
    I've done something similar with small branches and it looks very rustic and sort of English Cottagy. Bamboo looks good in a criss cross design. Or lashed together in a lattis work design on the diagonal.

Good luck!

Barbara

• okiefamily
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Can you clue me in to any country spots or alleyways next time you find one?

Thanks for your reply, I need to keep an eye out!

• okiehusker
    14 years ago

i have found them at Lowes here in OKC early in the season but my last trip there was none. I would call ahead to verify and hope you get someone who knows what they are talking about.

I have seen 6' and 8' before at Lowes.

Brad

• slowpoke_gardener
    14 years ago

we have them growing wild along some of the creeks. I see some up to 12', or use to when I fished. When I go visit my brother and sister in DeQueen, Ar. I see really big ones in low areas, maybe 20' or more high. If they grow in southern Arkansas I sure they can be found in southern Oklahoma. It you would be happy with the 10' to 12' range poles, just ask some of your fishing friends.

Larry

P.S. I had planned to plant some, but was told they will take your garden over. I dont know that to be true because I never planted any.

My uncle has a grove he has had for many years and just mows around them to keep the sprouts cut back. His only grow to 10 or 12 feet, but they are in poor soil on a hillside. ( he lives just west of the Ok., Ar, line south of Ft. Smith.