Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chick604

avacado pit roots fungus?

Chick604
10 years ago

Hi, im new to the forum and quite new to planting as you can tell.... But i was wondering if you guys could help me diagnose my avacado pit. It seems the roots have a white powdery fungus looking thing on them. the roots are also beggining to split open. Any thoughts on what it is? Or what i can do to fix it?

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey

why fungus???... are you telling us you know the diagnosis... or are you throwing out words to confuse us?????

whats the top look like ... we usually dont worry about the roots.. if the top is thriving ...

and i am thinking.. with all those clean white straight roots ... that this is growing in a glass ...

had you planted it.. you wouldnt be concerned about this.. lol .. dont you think ...

plant it.. go make some more guacey ... and try a second ... keep experimenting ... see if its normal.. and happens again ....

it is not an aquatic ... it needs some soil .. or potting media ... if you are potting it ....

i would not spend a minute nor a penny.. worrying about this ... really now.. you rooted a piece of compost... so dont go spending money ....

in other words.. i dont fix things.. that arent broken

ken

ps: it took quite a while to figure out your pic was of the roots ...

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Oh my !!
    What a warm welcome to a newbie Ken.
    Don't you remember you first avocado pit ?
    Didn't we all at one time sprout a pit ?

Hopefully someone helpful will chime in .
    You can also search the other conversations on this forum
    about avocados ....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://search.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=avocado&searchfor=gw

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Forboys, I'm very sorry that ken was the first to answer your post. Don't let him stop you from returning to the Forums in the future.

I don't know what the odd growth are on that primary root. I've rooted many avocado pits but never in water....always planted them in a good potting mix. So I don't know if this is normal or not!

It might be helpful for us to know how long the seed has been growing in water, if there are any leaves, how long the roots are, and any other describable characteristics about that root. Any details would be helpful.

I'm thinking in terms of edema rather than fungus.

• Chick604
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your replies! I will take a look at that link, thanks!
    I thought it might be a fungus, but Im still learning thanks. This is my third attempt with a pit so far, but i noticed that the roots started showing a powdery looking growth on it. I didnt worry at first, but the roots are cracking in the middle. Literally opening!
    It has been in water for at least 2 months. ( takes a long time for some reason)

I decided last night to plant it, just in case. Heres a picture.

• Chick604
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry the picture is sideways, i couldnt figure out how to fix it :/

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

sorry if i offended you ..

i was trying to teach ...

as i will right now..

you can do a lot better with your potting media ... its too peaty . ... and if you just potted it.. you should dampen your media before you plant in it ...

if this is the plant in the first pic ... it looks great.. and my point was to not worry about roots.. if the plant above is doing good ...

if its been indoors.. do not leave it in the sun.. until it gets acclimated ... it will sunburn like you will ...

ken