Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrpepper_gw

Vietnam Pepper

mrpepper
14 years ago

While in Vietnam this summer I noticed that their were two main peppers used in their food. The first one is the Birds Eye Hot Pepper. The second one, I have never seen online for sale anywhere.

It seems that most of the South East Asian countries have similiar peppers. In Thailand, there is the Goats Horn (similiar to Cayenne), and the Birds Eye (Small Upright Growing) Peppers.

However, in Vietnam they have a pepper that is 3-4" long, about the same diameter as a Serrano, but the skin and walls are different. The pepper does not have that many seeds, and is typically harvested when Yellow, Orange, or Red. It is mainly put into the Pho (Noodle Soup).

I brought back (shame on me) 4 seeds with me, and lucky me all four seeds sprouted. I am in the process of getting these to the point where I can get some more seeds from them.

Has anyone had any experience growing this pepper? If so, do you have any spare seeds in case mine do not make it to the pod/seeding stage?

Comments (13)

• wayright
    14 years ago

I bought some seeds last year called Vietnamese Tear Jerker,They are C.Frutescens, They are super juicy like a tabasco and once red they fall off the stem with the slightest touch

Kevin

• cmpman1974
    14 years ago

Kevin I grew that variety in '08. I loved it. Very, very hot too.

• mrpepper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pictures that does help. I would love to get some seeds for that plant, hint, hint.

That is not the pepper I have though. While in Vietnam, (6 months), I never saw that pepper. But it does look like a fun one to grow.

The plant I have started from seeds is more like a Serrano in shape, but is larger in diameter, and I have never seen the pepper pods in any color other than yellow, orange, red.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

A listing from the major seed supplier in Vietnam http://www.green-seeds.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?CateID=14

• mrpepper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Farmer Dilla, thanks a ton for that link. The pepper looks a lot like the SUNSTRIKE PEPPER from that site:

http://www.green-seeds.com/shopdisplayproductdetail.asp?CateID=14&ProID=321

I guess its pretty much like the Hungarian Yellow Wax pepper, only its color can be either yellow, orange or red. Again, I never saw this pepper either in the market or sold in a resteraunt other than these colors (no green, but that does not mean that its never that color.) Also its listed as deep orange, but I found it in a firey red color. Maybe thats just the way I see it?

Thanks a ton for your help as I am trying to figure out what the pepper is.

As soon as I get the pepper to grow a pod, I will send out pics of it. If green, then that will at least help out in identifying it.

• ohiopeppers
    14 years ago

Hello,
    You might try googling Hanoi Market Hot Pepper. I was researching some of my own peppers that I received as trades and I came across that one and thought that may be what you looking for. Karen

• mrpepper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Slackermom, thanks for the information. I did a Google on Hanoi Market Hot Pepper, and it does look very similiar to the pepper seeds of the pepper I brought back from Vietnam.

I am in the process of growing the peppers, and when I get pods, will post pictures.

Thanks for the information.

• mrpepper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a photo of the plant at one month. Its a bad picture as the plant is under an HPS lamp. Also, if the light is not on, the plant is much greener and looks better. None the less I just wanted to post an update on growing this plant.

I am hoping to get some true seeds from this plant, and then cross it with a lemon drop.

http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad270/MHargraves/?action=view¤t=VietnamPepper1mos.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mtg32_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

Hi. I was curious how your Vietnamese pepper plants turned out. I have seen them at Vietnamese restaurants here in CT and I don't know the name of the pepper even though I am Vietnamese myself. I was going to find out if you had not found out what they actually are yet.

• mrpepper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mary,

Have not been back to this site in a long, long time. The pepper I was growing is a Hanoi Market Pepper. I am growing another one as I type. Its about 2 feet tall now, has blossoms and is a gorgeous plant.

I am also growing Ngo Gai the Cilantro like plant. I have over 100 little seedlings of that right now.

If you want to know where to get the seeds let me know as I found a good supplier for both.

• CaribbeanGarden
    10 years ago

Hi, if you dont mind can you give me the link where to get the seeds of the pepper you growing.

• H4 Nguyen
    8 years ago

mrpepper would you tel the name of the vietamese chili for pho ?

• Don Trahan
    6 years ago

mrpepper do you set both lights for coming on & off for the same length to time 12Hrs or 16Hrs. Thanks Don