Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrimc_gw

Strange White Sticks on Underside of Leaves - Please Help!

katrimc
13 years ago

Hi all,

I'm not expert when it comes to plant care, so I am really concerned about this epidemic that's spreading through my yard. It's affecting every single plant -- the shrubs, the trees, the flowers. I tried searching everywhere for a solution, and the closest I've found were mealy bugs, but I'm not too sure that's what it is.

There is a single white, stick-like thing on the under-side of every leaf in my garden plants. The leaves were wilting and yellowing. It's been very hot and humid here in the last week, so could that be it, or could that be a factor?

It's spreading quickly through my yard, and I'm really getting nervous! Any and all help in identification and management will be greatly appreciated!

(I've included the best image that I could get. Hopefully it'll be of some use!)

Image link:

Comments (11)

• katrimc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a clearer picture.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

With quality of foto hard to tell but looks like cottony cushion scale from here.

Dan

• jean001
    13 years ago

If a cottony scale, those are soft fluffy masses filled with eggs.

To determine if that's true, gently disrupt one or several. If the white encloses eggs, likely those eggs will be small, pink and very numerous.

If so, start obliterating -- squishing -- all that you see.

• tdscpa
    13 years ago

Or, possibly mealybugs. They were all over my tomatoes last year, and have showed up again this summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mealybugs

• jean001
    13 years ago

Mealybugs are oval, not elongated as is shown in the image.

• weedlady
    13 years ago

Taking a sample (a branch with several specimens) to your extension office should get you an ID and they also will be able to tell you what to do. My preliminary thought is that it sounds like a case for insecticidal soap spray--but find out for sure what you are dealing with first!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I'd be willing to bet money that they are one of the cottony scale insects.

• jean001
    13 years ago

I'm with rhizo.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Me three ;o)

Dan

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

Yes, cottony scale. I have them also.

Here's a link with great photos and description.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bugs

• katrimc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help, guys! I really appreciate it. I've managed to keep them under control. Now I just hope they won't come back around!