Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Invitation to the greenhouse warming party!

Hi folks! Well, here we are, I am finally able to say that greenhouse number 3 is up and running and will not be blown away this time. I am so pleased with it. You are all cordially invited to the official 'greenhouse warming party'....entrance by way of a plumie seed, cutting or plant!!!

First, here's one of work in progress, (or not as the case may be) as I think my d/h had had enough of it and gone for a coffee break here!

The completed (well, almost) article, still some work to do as you can see. It will be even better when we can get round to making a proper door instead of the sheet of old plywood and 3 casement windows instead of plastic sheeting held down with drawing pins! However, we seem to keep getting side tracked by all and sundry who want things doing yesterday. Someday soon we will also get the side of the garage rendered and the g/h wall as some are old blocks we had in stock, then it will match the other sides!

{{gwi:1123481}}

My plumie seedlings are romping away so will be a welcome addition to my new g/house. Note the strategically placed chairs! It's great to sit in there and enjoy a coffee and look out over the garden and fields beyond...that space will definately not be taken up by plants...we intend to relax a little from now on....well, thats the plan, but we all know what plans are don't we? (for altering!)

Cheers! Gill.

Comments (8)

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Very nice. That certainly doesn't look like it will get blown away. Can you enter it from the garage also?
    Karyn

• kevabear
    17 years ago

Oh congratulation Gill. That looks absolutely wonderful! What direction does it face? Does it get the morning sun or afternoon sunset? Please do continue to post pictures for us as it fills and progresses.
    Lauri

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karyn...hi, we certainly hope this one doesn't get blown away this time..mind you the last one wasn't expected to either! No, there is no access to the g'h from the garage as this would take up valuable plant space I thought...plus I'd rather look at plants than a door...haha.

Lauri, thanks for the email, will have a go at that coffee recipe, yummy! The greenhouse bascically faces south-east, I guess. It gets sun all day except for the last bit in the evening as the sun then disappears to the right of the fir tree you can see in our neighbours garden. The temps inside it have been hovering around 75-80F on sunny days, but we have chilly nights at present and I have some bedding plant seeds sown so the fan heater is on during the night to keep it above 40F. Today, I left the door shut while I went to work, the sun was particularly strong for the time of year and it topped out at 104F!! We have had to ensure plenty of ventilation so have spaces all along the roof line left open both at the front edge and back, but at the moment they are filled with foam rubber else the heat from the fan heater just escapes. Shade cloth is also a necessity even in our climate in the UK!. The garage wall seems to be acting like a giant storage heater as you can feel it's warmth even when the sun has gone.
    Will keep you posted on it's progress.
    Regards, Gill.

• musarojo
    17 years ago

Nice Greenhouse! I bet the chairs will have to be removed in a year or so to make room for more plants!

Philip

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi gill,
    What a fantstic greenhouse, looks very stong!! bet it will be full very quickly when finished.. Lucky you.. You have a great husband building it for you.
    Karen B.

• valerie_mi
    17 years ago

Hi Gill,
    Is your greenhouse full yet? Waiting to see more pictures.
    Valerie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all...not much to add at the moment, I have been stuck at work all over the Easter hols and John has been working at daughters b'friends house. However, we did get chance to go to the nurseries this afternoon...came back loaded with baby plants for summer baskets/bedding plant seeds/tomato plants...unfortunately they don't sell plumies over here in the UK else I would have no doubt bought some of those too! If I recall correctly, Hazel aka Felixcat, did spy some at the BBC Gardener's World Exhibition at Birmingham, but that's a show 'similar', albeit a tad smaller to our Chelsea Flower Show that some of you may have heard of. I have looked on eBayUK for them, but the prices are tremendous.

I can't wait for Celadine to break it's dormancy...4 of my little seedlings are coming on a treat, have 2 yellow/white and 3 red, however one of the reds is struggling, will do a separate post on that tomorrow as I could do with some advice.

I think the chairs may well get booted out this year if all grows well never mind next year!

Take care all of you, Gill.

• coke_nut
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Please fill it with all the colors of the rainbow but please leave a space for the chairs so you can sit and enjoy what God has given us. Thank you for sharing with all of us.
    God Bless.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County