Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenacreslady

Hungry hummingbirds!

greenacreslady
13 years ago

My goodness, the hummingbirds are about to eat us out of house and home! We have noticed an increase in feeding over the past 2 or 3 weeks, and especially in the last few days. Today was a first though ... they emptied the feeder in one day. I assume this means they are storing up and getting ready for migration?

Suzie

Comments (13)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Suzie,

The hummingbirds hitting your feeders so hard now are probably birds from the northern states who are already in the middle of their migration. We have had very heavy migration activity at our feeders since about the third week in August and it will continue until early October. Even after that there sometimes will be some stagglers.

Our resident birds feed about the same time every day and sit on the same tree limbs, electric lines, etc. in the same spots and the dominant males fight to dominate their favorite feeder every day. The migrants swarm in like a herd of cattle and are all over the place feeding both at the feeders and at the various flowers we have planted for them. Sometimes it is a crazy feeding frenzy and then that bunch moves on and more arrive. The ones that drained your feeder probably were a bunch of migrants.

I've linked the hummer southern migration map from Journey North and it shows reports of hummers everywhere. As time goes on, the dots in different colors move further south and further south until all the birds have departed.

The map will look really different 4 to 6 weeks from now.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Journey North's Southern Migration Map

• greenacreslady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well that makes sense! I didn't even think about the possibility that migrating hummingbirds had already arrived. The feeder is just outside the kitchen window and there are birds feeding literally all day long now. Today for the second day in a row it was emptied in one day. I got tickled at one bird who would sit on the top of the metal hook that holds the feeder and chase off any bird that tried to feed. He wasn't feeding .... he just wasn't going to let anyone else near "his" feeder. I've seen that at least a couple of times. I didn't realize until I looked at the map that hummingbirds seem to be more predominant in the eastern half of the country.

Suzie

• granygreenthumb
    13 years ago

I normally have 2 feeders out during the summer. The beginning of August the feeding frenzy started and hasn't stopped. I now have 5 feeders out and they are all emptied and refilled at least once sometimes twice a day. They act as if they are starving. We certainly have enjoyed watching them. I have even seen bands on the legs of a couple with the help of my camera.

Teresa

• quailhunter
    13 years ago

I'm going through about 32 oz. a day with mine. I can't concentrate on reading the paper at daylight on my patio. Too much buzzing. The cat gets a kick out of it. I counted ten out there at one time last week.

• p_mac
    13 years ago

I've had 5 feeders all summer and rec'd another for my b-day in July! It takes a full 12 cups of nectar to fill them all. We usually have 4 to 5 hovering around each at all times. There are several males who have tried to stake their claim to particular ones...and the battles are really entertaining!

At this rate...I'm wondering if I can claim them as dependents on my tax return for this year....

Paula

• laura_lea60
    13 years ago

The birds were out of control this morning! The cats and I just loved it. I did refill my feeders this morning after filling yesterday and the flowers were getting a real workover. I even had a hummingbird "moth" trying to get in on the action!

Laura

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Isn't it amazing how many hummingbirds are traveling through as they migrate south?

It makes you wonder how many would make it without all the nectar from the hummingbird feeders that they use to supplement their natural food sources.

Paula, I think in order to claim them as dependents on your tax return, you're going to have to name them and obtain social security numbers for them.....

We have had five feeders out all summer and we also have tons and tons of flowes for them. I've noticed they hit the feeders hard when they first arrive here, but once they find the flowers, they choose them over the feeders. Our big problem is the big red barn, which the hummers all seem to think is a big red flower. We have to be sure to keep all the doors closed or hummers get inside and then, for some reason I don't understand, cannot find their way out again. If they can fly in an open door, why can they not fly out the same door? To 'help' them find the way out, I have to hang a hummingbird feeder in the doorway. Once they calm down enough to come down from the rafters to the feeder, they discover the way out. It happens over and over every year.

Our cats know not to bother the hummers because if I see a cat trying to get a hummer, I spray it with the water hose. They sure do like to sit on the screened-in porch and watch the hummers though.

It sounds like a really great hummingbird year. I hope the monarch migration is as good as the hummer one is.

Dawn

• greenacreslady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The grandkids were here yesterday, and they really enjoyed the hummingbird show. Our son brought the baby indoors though because he was beginning to feel like all those hummers buzzing around were getting just a little too close for comfort! The cardinal climber vine that I planted in early summer is finally blooming, and just in time for the hummingbird invasion. I've got to get out the camera with the big lens now, and maybe I can catch a couple of good shots.

Suzie

• greenacreslady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today a friend told me she had heard the feeders should be put away in September, so that the hummers wouldn't stay past the time they are supposed to migrate south and then freeze when it gets too cold. She wondered if that is just an old wives tale. I told her I'd post it here and see what you all have to say about it. Is there any truth to it?

Suzie

• laura_lea60
    13 years ago

My understanding (from Rondi Large) is to keep em' filled and up! The straggles need the opportunity to feed on their way south! I've had hummers as late as Halloween blow through on their way home.

Laura

• greenacreslady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Laura. We've noticed over just the last few days that the feeding has slowed way down, so most of the heavy feeders that we had a couple of weeks ago must have moved on.

Suzie

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Suzie,
    I used to always put away the feeders at the end of Sept. or in early to mid-Oct., depending on when I stopped seeing hummers. That was back when I was mostly seeing only Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. For the last 6 or 7 years, we have had very late migrants---mostly Rufous Hummingbirds---even in Oct. and Novemeber. I think the Rufous types must be more cold-hardy because they tend to arrive early and stay late, so now I leave one feeder out for them. How long do I leave it out? Well, usually until about November, but I will bring it inside at dark on nights we're expecting freezing temps.

I noticed several years ago that bees and other flying insects will feed at hummingbird feeders in the fall and winter when there are few flowers in bloom, so I will put out hummingbird nectar for them all winter long as long as I'm seeing them flying around. I normally see bees all winter long. In January I've seen them feeding on hen scratch in the chicken pen, so I try to always have winter flowers (pansies, violas, snapdragons, etc.) in bloom for them and to have hummingbird nectar for them too. I also overwinter large, potted angel's trumpets (both brugmansias and daturas) in the garage, along with potted pepper plants, and drag them out into the sunlight during the day. The plants cycle in and out of bloom all winter long and also provide nectar and pollen for the small flying insects. I think that may be one reason I always have so very many bees and other pollinators around year-round. With all the snow last winter, I did not have the usual high numbers of active bees in Jan. and Fen. though, but had them in March even before the last snow fell on March 21st.

I spend a lot of time in the cold season feeding deer, birds of all kinds and insects. Since moving to the country, I've been surprised by how many beneficial insects and pollinators are active all 12 months of the year and am conscious of their need to be fed too.

We're still seeing plenty of hummers here, but of course we are very far south.

Dawn

• greenacreslady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Dawn! After I read your post I googled hummingbirds in Oklahoma so that I could refresh my memory of what Rufous hummingbirds look like. We haven't seen any Rufous so far, but plenty of Ruby-throated and Black-chinned. I came across an OK Department of Wildlife website with photos and information, and it also confirms that the feeders can be safely left up without interfering with migration. I'll add the link in case anyone is interested.

Suzie

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Department of Wildlife - Hummingbirds