Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperguy222

Some Problems developing....

PepperGuy222
11 years ago

So ive been starting to harden off my peppers, 2 Naga Vipers, 1 Yatzy Pepper plant, 1 Charleston Pepper Plant and 1 bell pepper plant. I know its a small batch but im in college and have no room for more. So to start my plants are starting to wilt a little, i think it may be sunburn ut im not sure. I also see these little brown splotches on some of them. If i could get some tips and some advice on how to cure this itd be great, please help!

Comments (6)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Are you starting them off in shade/speckled sun? The seeds leaves some have brown spots but that's ok nothing to worry about. Not sure from the pic what you mean by wilt a little? Also why are they tied down to a green stake of some sort?

Mark

• PepperGuy222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wel, ive got them started out like behind a dark screen from a window, andthe light theyve been under is a standard light bulb and they are stretching, or getting really tall and skinny and some of them started to tip so I tied a pipe cleaner to them for stability. the wilt is more or less on the bottom right and the plant to the left of that, im not sure why but they definitly look different than yesterday.

• don555
    11 years ago

Isn't it awfully early to be hardening them off? I harden for maybe 10 days before planting outdoors.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Not sure what zone you are in and don555 may be right depending on your zone it may be too early. For lighting can you get a CFL instead of a regular light bulb? At least that can be placed close to the plants and keep them from reaching. They are not too expensive. Not 100% sure the slight wilt is from sun exposure or temp changes or watering changes.

Mark

• PepperGuy222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks everyone, im going tomorrow to get a CFL light, hopefully it changes everything, and yes, ill stop hardening them off, i also live in ohio and its 70 and sunny where im at.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Yeah, we all get that itch when it's so nice out! I took mine outside to water them, it made me feel better. :-)

Is the wilting you are referring to the puckering and curling of the leaves? I don't really see any wilting...just making sure.

I don't know how big those pots are, but, if/when you pot them up again, bury them a little deeper to help support them. With a healthy plant it's not a bad idea to turn a fan on them regularly to simulate wind and help them build strong stems. Pretty much the opposite of what you've got going on. I understand if they are leggy and need some support right now, but, you need to work that direction. Burying them a little deeper and better lighting should help.

Sponsored