Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lady_dynomutt

my cayenne pepper plant is in deep trouble

lady_dynomutt
17 years ago

Help!

I purchased a cayenne pepper plant from our local nursery. Anyhow, after yielding its first fruit, the leaves have turned a pale green to yellow green, more yellow than green. My husband has been using fish emulsion or seaweed as well as micro life for plant food.

When I lived in Massachusetts, I was able to raise a bunch of potted cayenne pepper plants in a sunny room quite successfully, with plenty of fruiting.

What am I doing wrong to the poor little plant?

Lady Dynomutt

Houston metro area, Texas

Comments (7)

• habbob
    17 years ago

Maybe overwatering.

Are you letting the soil dry out between waterings?

• hmiller
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm having the same problems...

I purchased my cayenne pepper plant from a local nursery as well, and when I purchased it, it was remarkably healthy. It already had several fruits. I brought it home, overwatered it the first few days I had it, got a hang of the let-soil-dry-then-water thing, and haven't overwatered it since. However, mine is doing the same thing, a lot of the leaves turned from a deep green to a light green to a yellowish green, and now many of the leaves have fallen off. ...All in areas that buds look like they were beginning to form. As a matter of fact, the very tips of the leaves begin with a tiny touch of brown that seems to spread up the leaf.

We've had a problem with beetles before on other plants, so I purchased some "Organicide" and sprayed the indicated amount on the leaves. And since, I haven't noticed any bugs on any of my plants nor have I noticed any additional damage on any of my other plants.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong with my pepper plant??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• hmiller
    16 years ago

Hello again,

I just took some pictures to better illustrate the problem. Some include obvious damage from bugs, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved as a result of the Organocide. But if it's something else, please let me know!

{{gwi:1181670}}
    {{gwi:1181672}}
    {{gwi:1181673}}
    {{gwi:1181674}}
    {{gwi:1181675}}
    {{gwi:1181676}}
    {{gwi:1181677}}
    {{gwi:1181678}}
    {{gwi:1181680}}
    {{gwi:1181681}}
    {{gwi:1181682}}

Thanks!
    Heather

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    16 years ago

Not sure could be spider mites causing the stems to shrivel up and lose foliage? I have similar problems with my Serranos.

• hmiller
    16 years ago

I'm not sure... I haven't actually seen any. I know they're small, but I saw aphids on a nearby cilantro plant, sprayed on some Organocide and no more aphids. Scary! I don't know what it is!

• keithdp
    16 years ago

Looks like plant stress and over fertilization the pot looks too small also. Stressed plant are the first to get attacked by anything. Put in a larger pot and limit fretilizer peppers dont need much. Is there a saucer? Peppers like dry feet.
    Good Luck.
    Keith

• Artstrickland2000_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Mine were having similar issues, however after making sure I water them very early in the morning or really late at night as well as misting them on sunny days they have rebounded and are finally budding back.

Sponsored