Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

What fertilizer should I use?

newgen
13 years ago

I'm not getting any flowers at all, plants look healthy, just no flowers. I've been giving them some general purpose Miracle Grow stuff, including some labeled as bloom booster, apparently it hasn't helped.

Thanks,

Comments (15)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I didn't get any blooms using the fertilizers you mentioned until I bought a specific fertilizer for plumeria. I am sure some people will say that that isn't necessary and I also know that there are other factors that affect the plumeria to bloom. How old and large is your plumeria? Is it getting good light? These are just some of the factors that you need to consider if your plumeria isn't blooming.

• juicygirl
    13 years ago

Well I don't know much about much, but I found the information at Jungle jacks quite useful. The best I could do is find something high in phosphorous. But even he uses the commercial grade miraclegr.... A lot of what I read sounds similar.

Fertilizer  Conventional wisdom recommends fertilizers with a high Phosphorous content (thatÂs the P in the N-P-K), ostensibly because this can stimulate blooming. Our experience, and that of others weÂve spoken with, is that there is no magic bullet which will cause a plumeria to bloom. Therefore, pretty much any fertilizer you want to use is fine. We generally use commercial mixes with a 1-1-1 ratio or similar on our larger plants, and MiracleGro or equivalent on our smaller plumeria.

Here is a link that might be useful: junglejacks

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are some photos along with captions. What do you guys think?
    {{gwi:1184338}}
    {{gwi:1184339}}
    {{gwi:1184340}}

• drich30099
    13 years ago

I am new to growing my own plumeria cutting, it has finally sprouted leaves and they are about 5-6 in. long. The cutting is about 3ft tall, in a pot. When can I expect a bloom on this cutting? It had an old blossom on it when I got it this last winter in Fla. and developed a pod and I waited til it dried and opened and now have the seeds. When can I expect it to bloom.
    thanks

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Newgen= the wall is the problem. A wall or stucco side is like an oven in hot weather and the plant is not only getting hot sun but increased radiation from the wall. I put a bamboo fencing against my walls to stop this. This shot is from several years ago as now the plants are much bigger and covering the whole space.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ahh, so that's what it is, the damn stucco wall! I'll try to cover it up.

Thanks Bill!!

• konatiki
    13 years ago

I just picked up some Hawaiian Bud & Bloom by Grow More. I was using miracle grow bloom booster which is 15-30-15 but heard bad things about it so I'm now going to use the Hawaiian Bud & Bloom which is 5-50-17. We will see what happens. I have also been using the Seaweed Extract. I put a bit of it in a spray bottle with water and mist my leafs. It has worked to really darkens the leaves. Happy plants.

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

konatiki,

What does the seaweed extract do for plants? Some other member is also using it for Michelia alba, which I also have. Can you mix it with water and irrigate the plant with it, or is it only for foliar spray like you're using? I've never seen it here in California, where do you live?

Thanks,

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Sseaweed extract is not a true fertilizer but contains many micronutrients and essential minerals used by most plants. You can mix it with water or you can mix it with water and a water soluable fertilizer and drench water with it. I mix several 33 gallon trash cans with seaweed extract, superthrive and growmore water soluable in the water I let set over night to free the chlorine. then I dip in with a couple of 2 gallon watering cans and soak my plants.

• konatiki
    13 years ago

I live in Shadowridge "Vista". I water my plumerias with a 1 1/2 gal water can. I use a cap full of the seaweed extract and 1/2 tbs.of water soluable fertilizer per can. It's not the full amount they say to use but it's enough and it is working well for me. I put the seaweed extrct and fertilizer into the watering can first and then fill it with water using my hose and then water everything.

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Konatiki- you can go a whole tablespoon with no problem. You are giving about a third of a normal dose of one and a half tablespoons for that size can. You can foliar feed too but the seaweed extract will leave brown spots on white flowers and on some leaves. I prefer spray-n-grow with coco wet and Bill's perfect fertilizer for foliar feeding. I have had great results with this combo- one week I drench and the next I foliar. Vista is a great location for plants.

• konatiki
    13 years ago

Cool. I will start using a whole tablespoon full. I just didn't want to burn my babies. It's funny that I have had my 4 real big plumerias for about 7 years now and for the first 4 years I did nothing to them but water them and the way I watered them before I knew any better was to use the hose and fill up the pot let the water run thu the soil and fill it up again. I never used any fertilizer or anything. Looking back now I think I was very lucky my plants didn't rot on me. However I alway did get lots of blooms back then even without fertilizer. I guess my cuttings were just real good ones.

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

and you live in Vista. A zone ten or nine plus gives you lots of luck factors. Also it takes a number of years for a plant to grow enough to depleat the soil of natural minerals and nutirents so four years was about time.

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    13 years ago

Where can I get Bill's perfect fertilizer? Is there a way to make the inflo. bloom completely, "all" at the 'same' time?
    Thanks for the info.
    Annamaria

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

bill's is available through spray-n grow (small kit is enough- you need a pump sprayer from home depot). click on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: spray N grow kits

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths