Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mecdave

Handy Hardening-off plant Handler

I've had a bunch of plants hardening-off for a week now and they have been outside in their solo-type cups full time for the past few days. This morning a thunderstorm rolled in and I was wishing I had an easier way to round them up and bring them inside.

They had been in a box at first but once they went out full time I simply set them between a couple boards. After the storm I decided to make something a bit more useful. Here is the result...

I screwed two 1"x4"x8' boards together side by side, then drilled 3" diameter holes for the cups, spaced 8" apart (12 total). That was the largest hole saw I had, so I then simply separated the two boards about an inch so the cups would set down flush and on the ground. Then screwed the boards back down to the three 2"x4"x12" footings.

The sides were an after thought to help protect against the wind. They are actually spaced out to the edges to provide good air circulation around the plants while still blocking some from the sides.

Now it's a simple matter to move all the plants at once in and out of the shade and out of bad weather.

This post was edited by mecdave on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 19:01

Comments (4)

Sponsored