Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_ewash

Rudbeckia fulgida vs Rudbeckia hirta

Vera_EWASH
19 years ago

I'm a bit confused...please help clarify this:

I'm a Hort. student (Greenhouse/Nursery) and on this weeks list in my fall plant ID class is listed the perennial Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldstrum', common name listed as Goldstrum Rudbeckia. Now when I google the name every source returns the common name of Black-Eyed Susan. One source (I'll post below) says does not come true from seed.

I was under the understanding that Black-Eyed Susan's were R. hirta, a annual, biennial or short-lived perennial depending on geographic location???

Thanks for your help!

Vera

Here is a link that might be useful: Rudbeckia

Comments (5)

• veronicastrum
    19 years ago

Vera,

The side lesson in Plant ID here is why horticulturalists prefer botanic names to common names.

There are no hard and fast rules governing the use of common names, and many gardeners will use the term "black-eyed Susan" to refer to most of the plants in the Rudbeckia family. The problem comes when a gardener sees a planting of Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' and wants that plant, but asks for "black-eyed Susan" and is given a R. hirta variety, or vice versa. Two plants that will perform very differently but may be called by the same common name!

The info on your link above about R. 'Goldsturm' not being true from seed is correct. Unfortunately, too many growers have grown this plant from seed and not division and the outstanding qualities of the original cultivar have probably been diminished in the trade.

By the way, although most people say "gold-stRum" the proper spelling and pronounciation is "gold-stuRm."

Enjoy your class!

V.

• Vera_EWASH
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Veronica :)

I understand the importance of the botanical names to common names, but what I want to know is how do you know when you are buying seed for R. hirta that you are not buying a not true from seed fulgida 'Goldsturm'?

Vera

• john_mo
    19 years ago

If seed is sold as 'R. hirta' you should not get R. fulgida unless your vendor is unreliable. And if you buy 'R. fulgida' you may or may not get 'Goldsturm', which is just one of many varieties of R. fulgida.

Bottom line: 'Black-eyed susan' is a common name for ALL (or at least most) species in the genus Rudbeckia, not just R. hirta. There are probably dozens of species and countless horticultural varieties in this genus. You need to be specific about what species and/or cultivar you ask for, and be sure you are dealing with a reliable vendor.

• paul299
    19 years ago

"were R. hirta, a annual, biennial or short-lived perennial depending on geographic location???"

The lifespan of the plants has more to do with the genetics of the plants,this is one of those species that can be all of the above - depending on the population.

The seed form of'Goldstrum'('Goldsturm' by the originator)is correctly labeled as:

Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii 'Goldstrum'

• Vera_EWASH
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I see what you are saying John_Mo...

Vera

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery