Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrtoad_gw

garlic revisited

mrtoad
13 years ago

still thinking of garlic in the potager - i have four "L" shaped boxes with terra cotta pots in the ends of each - this would give me 8 twelve inch pots in which to plant garlic - in the remaining 10 inch pots i would plant peppers - do you think this could be the beginning of "the plan" - thanks , mr toad

{{gwi:1151247}}

Comments (4)

• carol6ma_7ari
    13 years ago

Garlic needs to be planted like daffodil or tulip bulbs: autumn planting, a certain depth, a thick mulch. In your zone, would you plant bulbs over the winter outdoors in pots? If so, then the garlic would also survive. But unless you are intending to bury those pots in the earth up to their rims, your garlic might freeze and die in your zone 7b climate.

Nice potager.

• gwenb
    13 years ago

Rodney, is that you!?! LOL

I have heard that garlic doesn't do well in pots. I have no personal experience to back this up. I put my garlic in the ground. Why don't you put your garlic in the ground and put something else (flowers or herbs) in the pots?

• Donna
    13 years ago

I don't try to grow garlic heads. It takes too long to make, and I need the beds for other things in spring and summer. However, I do plant "green" garlic for use all winter. I just separate a grocery store bought head of garlic into cloves and stick each clove into the soil, basal plate down, point slightly above soil level. In a about a week, there will be leaves that look like green onions. I cut these greens and chop them for cooking all winter. The greens grow back several times before the bulb is exhuasted. Try it. You'll like it!

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

I read a post in another forum (I can't remember just which one) where a gentleman planted garlic in autumn in containers and then over-wintered the containers in an unheated garage. I might try that next year.

donnabaskets, thank you for the tip on green garlic. I'm trying that as soon as tomorrow!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional