Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisisme_gw

HELP!!! My Hot sauce is to hot. What to do?

thisisme
12 years ago

Last week I canned 10 quarts and had some left over that I put in the refrigerator. I only had 3.5lbs of Anaheim peppers so I added roughly 6oz of 90,000HU ground Cayenne powder to the mix. I used some of the sauce I had put in the refrigerator to dip some pizza in this morning. The sauce is so tasty that I can't stop eating it but its giving me some major burn on my mouth and lips.

Here is what I put in it.

2lbs roasted Italian Roasting peppers.

3.5lbs roasted Anaheim peppers.

6oz 90,000HU ground Cayenne powder.

3lbs Sungold tomatoes.

24oz Tomato Catchup

16oz of a hot sauce that had tons of Cilantro in it since I had no Cilantro.

4oz garlic powder.

4oz onion powder.

12oz can of tomato paste.

16oz jar of Blackberry jelly.

16oz jar of Red Plum jelly.

12oz jar of Black Cherry Jelly.

12oz of clover honey and a half cup of sugar.

2 Tablespoons salt.

1 Tablespoon food grade Citric Acid

All of this was put into an Apple Cider Vinegar base and run through a high quality blender on "Liquify" after cooking in the Cider Vinegar.

To summarize.

The taste is beyond amazing but its way to hot and I expect it to keep getting hotter as it ages. The problem is that its already so hot right now that I'm the only one in the house who can eat it. Somebody help me. What can I do to save my tasty creation?

Comments (20)

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Keep practicing! Eat it on everything!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Use it as concentrate to add to other sauces and salsas ;-)

I made a salsa that was miserably hot, and so I would add a couple tablespoons to a container
    of regular salsa, which made it tolerable.

Josh

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

i was given a bottle of capsicum extract! LOL talk about too hot! i just add a little sauces to taste! it does not take much!

E

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

now tht sounds like what I need where does one find capsaicin extract? OK the best way to keep the flavor you have and cut down the HEAT is to make the sauce again excluding all piquante ingredients while it is cooking, add the old batch into it, and continue, otherwise u could mellow it abit w/ a 50/50 water vinegar mixture, good luck
    paul

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

Paul,

my buddy got it for me from a store in in San Diego called Hot licks. it was 60 somehting dollars but is 6Million SHU! it is GNARLY! i added 2 drops to a tapitio bottle and its too hot for anyone other than me! even my buddy who claimed to love redicuously hot foods! LOL go to Mad dog357's website and i know you can find 1,000,000 extract.
    Eric

• thisisme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone.

chili freak once it has finished aging I will try diluting one quart. If the flavor is unacceptable I should have enough Ripe Italian Roasting peppers by then to make another batch to mix it with the rest of it.

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

I remember Hot licks it is like a little shack out on boardwalk kind of place in sand diego near a store that sells metal wind chimes little store with every type of hot sauce u can imagine every wall lined with bottles of hot sauce, that was where I tasted daves insanity sauce.( pretty hot I suppose but the flavor is oh so boring!)

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

Add sparkling water and use a longer straw when you drink it. :)
    With all that sweet stuff in it,put it on ice cream with some chocolate sauce(chocolate and peppers are a good blend).
    Glaze some brownies with it...
    Use it to glaze some baby backs , Chicken or Brisket and smoke em up.
    Use it as you would a rub,let stuff marrinate in it rather than be a finnishing sauce.
    Use it on stuff that it's only a glaze so it's less in volume compared to the rest of the dish.

Either dillute it as posted above or use less of it at a time.

Like eating Super Hots,if I'm using them in something like a salsa,I use less but give it time to blend before I eat it.
    I agree and think if it's too hot now.
    In a few weeks it'll have blended and be hotter,even with all the sweet stuff you have in it.

Dilluting it should be ok but you might want to let it blend for a few weeks before using it so the first ingrediants can blend in to make a more even tasting sauce.

Cayenne don't normally get to 90,000 scoville units,more like half that,50,000 at most I think.
    To me Cayenne isn't that hot.
    But I like 7 pots...It's a matter of taste in general.

PC1,a cayenne type Frtuescens , is supposed to be hotter (800,000+/-)but I never got any that were as hot as advertised...
    Scoville units differ from plant to plant,growing conditions etc.
    One year you might get one heat level out of a plant and with different growing conditions get a lot different amount of heat from the same plant the next season or harvest.

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

Paul, yes that is one of the shops. there is one in Old town too. the store carries the 6Mil but the website only offers 1 Mil.
    Smoke, my buddy made a choc bhut chocolate sauce that goes se good on some vanilla ice cream!

Eric

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

I'm not much for eating sweets but I do make a nice Chile Beer.
    American ale recipe with Habaneros in the boil.
    Pretty tastey after an extended aging period.

That hot sauce might make a good Bloody Mary...Booze,sauce and tomato juice...Homemade Snappy Tom.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

smokemaster_2007 the company I purchased the 90,000 Hu Ground Cayenne Chili Peppers from is a large company with a good reputation. The item is also shipped and sold by Amazon.com. I don't think they would sell any item they had reason to believe not to be as advertised.

Of course I have no way of knowing for sure. All I can say is that its really hot and looks smells and tastes good.

Here is a link to the company. http://www.frontiercoop.com

Here is a link that might be useful: 90,000 Hu Ground Cayenne Chili Peppers I purchased at Amazon

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

I guess it depends on their advertising and what you want to beleive...

15,000,000 Pure capsaicin, dihydrocapsaicin
    9,100,000 Nordihydrocapsaicin
    8,600,000 Homodihydrocapsaicin and homocapsaicin
    5,300,000 Police grade pepper spray
    2,000,000 Common pepper spray
    350,000 - 580,000 Red Savina habanero
    100,000 - 350,000 Habanero chile
    100,000 - 325,000 Scotch bonnet
    100,000 - 225,000 African birdseye (aka "African Devil")
    100,000 - 200,000 Jamaican hot pepper
    100,000 - 125,000 Carolina cayenne pepper
    95,000 - 110,000 Bahamian pepper
    85,000 - 115,000 Tabiche pepper
    50,000 - 100,000 Chiltepin pepper
    50,000 - 100,000 Rocoto
    40,000 - 58,000 Pequin pepper
    40,000 - 50,000 Super chile pepper
    40,000 - 50,000 Santaka pepper
    30,000 - 50,000 Cayenne pepper
    30,000 - 50,000 Tabasco pepper
    15,000 - 30,000 de Arbol pepper
    12,000 - 30,000 Manzano pepper, Aj�
    5,000 - 23,000 Serrano pepper
    5,000 - 10,000 Hot wax pepper
    5,000 - 10,000 Chipotle
    2,500 - 8,000 Jalape�o
    2,500 - 8,000 Santaka pepper
    2,500 - 5,000 Guajilla pepper
    1,500 - 2,500 Rocotilla pepper
    1,000 - 2,000 Pasilla pepper
    1,000 - 2,000 Ancho pepper
    1,000 - 2,000 Poblano pepper
    700 - 1,000 Coronado pepper
    500 - 2,500 Anaheim pepper
    500 - 1,000 New Mexico pepper
    500 - 700 Santa Fe Grande pepper
    100 - 500 Pepperoncini pepper
    100 - 500 Pimento
    0 Sweet bell pepper

Here is a link that might be useful: Another one

• thisisme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All I can say is that it's hotter than any other Cayenne pepper powder I have ever used. The same is said by all the other reviewers at amazon a number of which claim to be real pepperheads. They sell Cayenne pepper powder in three different heat levels. If they were all the same I don't think people would speak so highly of them. As far as the placebo affect goes I have an excellent pallet and do very well in blindfold taste tests. Not saying its a true 90,000HU cause I have no way of knowing but I do know its hotter than any of Cayenne powder I have ever tried and I had my 46th birthday last January.

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

There is a Carolina Cayenne listed above(developed in the U.S.A. 100,000-125,000)that gets in the range the add says.

When I grew it ,it was hotter than regular Cayenne but I only grew it once.
    There are probably tons of hybrids/developed cayenne types out there that are in all different heat ranges.

I was refering to Cayenne in general.

Maybe it was my growing conditions but in general , I don't think Cayenne peppers pack that much heat.
    I haven't grown them in a while.

I use mostly C.Chinense,Baccatums and Pubescens for my powders and rubs heat.
    Annuums I use mostly for flavor.Especially Chile Negro , Poblano and Cascabel.

For short intense bursts of heat a lot of the Frutescens do the trick.

I grow a lot of Pubescens too.
    They'll fool you though.
    They have all 3 kinds of Caspaicin in them so they feel hotter than they are.
    They hit up all the receptors in your mouth.

I'm more into using several types of peppers to blend together to get the taste and heat i want.
    I'm growing several strains of 7 Pot,Trinidad Scorpion ,Nagas and Bhuts this year with a couple seasoning type peppers to mellow them out.

I guess if the growers are using a similar strain to the Carolina Cayenne type for their powder it could reach up to 125,000 units.
    I've just never had a Cayenne that I thaught was anything to write home about as far as heat goes.
    I did like yellow Cayenne better than the other ones for taste when I grew them a few years back.
    I've grown several different ones.Regular assorted Cayennes,Long Slim,Long red,Yellow,Carolina,Thomas Jefferson,African,Purple,Super,Orange,Golden,Turkish,Picante,Portugal,Processing and sweet.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow smokemaster_2007, it looks like you have a lot more experience growing peppers than I do. I only have peppers in two beds out of thirteen. I have eaten a lot and cooked with a lot though. If you are looking for flavor you may want to try some of the Italian Sweet Roasting pepper varieties to add to your sauces. They are not hot at all but roast them and they produce the most intense and wonderful flavors. This year I'm growing Giant Marconi and love them. Next year I will be adding Giant Aconcagua to the mix.

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

When I first started growing peppers I couldn't decide which ones to grow....
    I decided to grow them all. LOL

My seed collection is somewhere in the 3000+ variety,crosses and strains of non bell pepper seeds.
    Sweet to super hot.
    Until my mite invasion last year I grew about 400 varieties 2x a year.
    I don't have a winter and a lot of pepper varieties grow in the winter here.
    I grow in pots only.
    Only growing 100-200 or so plants this year.
    Boring season,nothing to do compared to usual.
    Only takes an hour to mess with my plants every other day.

I really liked Italian Gourmette ( probably a version of Italian roaster which I do have seeds for also) peppers when I grew them last season and the one before.

Great roasted or smoked for all kinds of things.
    I like my super hots for powders etc. but I like the Italiaqn gourmette and piment tangerine for great flavor used fresh.
    Piment Tangerine are probably the sweetest,crispiest pepper I've grown.
    Best used fresh.
    Little golf balls full of flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mostly pepper pics

• thisisme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

smokemaster_2007 I looked though your large album too. Just a wild guess here but from the looks of things I would say you are into peppers.lol After looking at your pics i would bet you hate mites as much or more than I do. Every time I get them it takes me awhile to realize its not something else going on. By then the cycle of mites and egg hatching has usually gotten out of hand and nearly impossible to stop.

With all your pepper growing experience I hope you will consider becoming a member at Cornell's Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners. Its not a forum and thus not in competition with Garden Web. Its just a place where gardeners rate and leave feedback for the vegetable varieties they have grown. Like many others I have found the site helpful. Nothing like being able to read a bunch of reviews on a variety before you decide to buy it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell's Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

I've used stuff I've googled and found something on Cornels site many times in the past.
    Soil mix studies come to mind first,though there are other sources of info from Cornell I've used to get info for my container gardening.

The only reason I don't go to a lot of gardening sites/forums is I only grow non bell peppers.
    I grow ONLY sweet to super hot chiles.
    Most sites are mostly growing more stuff than I am interested in.
    Maybe I'll check out the site again.
    Do they have a section for non bell Chiles?

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

I was reading our exchange and was starting to think you might have thaught I was trying to hassle you.
    I wasn't,which seems to be what you think too.

I am not any kind of expert on growing chiles.
    I just post what I've found works for me.

I don't have any loyalty to any specific site except 1 I am involved with.
    I'm into learning new things and spreading the heat.
    I have learned more from the people I meet on the internet than I could anywhere else.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

smokemaster_2007 I think you only gave me a hard time in one post and you recovered nicely. I'm enjoying our conversation. I hope you are too.

Cornell's site is not a forum. You can only a post a short review and read reviews of others. You can't start a thread. If a variety is not listed that you have grown you can submit it. If its commercially available they will add it to the list. Each vegetable has their own section and each variety is listed separately in the section.

There are 524 pepper varieties already represented in the pepper section. You don't have to be an expert. You just have to have grown something in order to review it. If only experts posted reviews there would only be a hand full of reviews and the site would be worthless. Farmerdill who is very helpful in a number of forums here has posted more reviews at Cornell's site than anyone else and received special recognition for doing so.

Click on the link and scroll down and see if there is anything that catches your eye.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell's Pepper varieties for gardeners

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions