Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19774863

Small Pleasures, A Success and A Mystery

User
15 years ago

Hi Folks,

In this time between planting and harvest, thought Id post a little (ok long) post about my pepper experiences this year.

Introduction:

Some of you may have read some of my other posts where I lament about my Pepper season this year. To sum it up; thrips infestation; cooler and wetter season than normal and earwigs. 175 healthy plants in April and 34 still alive (barley) at end of May. Potted up 20 in 2.5 and 3 gallon pots and put the rest in the garden. 6 of the ones in the garden are just now starting to recover. The rest, I guess the earwig infestation set them back too far. Of the ones in pots, 11 look like theyÂll produce fruit.

I should note that the subjects of this post are all plants started from seed kindly shared by another forum member (with the exception of one?).

Small Pleasures:

I had started two Chinese Five Color seedlings in Feb. They both were doing exceptionally well. Actually, I had to move them to six inch pots by early April. Well the thrips outright killed one and decimated the other. It still had some life so I moved it to a 2.5 gallon pot last may and hardened off before it moved permanently outside. A top branch produced a couple of peppers but new growth from the base seems to be establishing itself. The following pictures are from the plant today. It just refuses to give up the ghost!

{{gwi:1194594}}

{{gwi:1194595}}

{{gwi:1194596}}

A Success:

The Chinese Five Color is a survivor but this Ethiopian Brown Berbere is a trooper! As with the Five Color, two were started in Feb. but only the one below survived the thrips. Actually, this one looked so bad I was going to compost it. Much to my surprise, after transferring to a 2.5 gallon pot it took off. It was literally a twig that just would not give in. I am defiantly saving the seed from this one!

{{gwi:1194597}}

{{gwi:1194598}}

A Mystery:

All but one of my Bhut Jolokias from seed purchased from NMSU (both hydroponic starts and soil starts) were wiped out by either thrips or salt build up on roots. The one that did "survive" is still on life support. The Dorset Naga seedlings started from member offered seed were wiped out by thrips. Wallowing in my miserable crop earlier this month, I thought what the heck, IÂll start a few fresh Dorsets and take another stab at hydro growing. One seed was planted in two new four inch pots with fresh seed starting mix. Much to my surprise one seed sprouted in four days. The other sprouted two weeks later.

Only one turned out to be a Dorset. Today, itÂs obvious the other is a tomato plant???

I can only think of four possible solutions to this mystery;

1) GF played a joke on me and stuck a tomato seed in the starter pot.

2) There was a tomato seed in my fresh store potting bought mix.

3) The trowel I used to pot up the starter pots was not cleaned and had a left over tomato seed from previous use on it that ended up germinating in the new starter pot.

4) The person who sent me the seeds has successfully crossed a Dorset Naga with an unknown tomato variety!!!

1 and 2 are highly unlikely (for 1, GF would know IÂd be pi$$ed!)

3 is probably the most likely solution.

Just in case itÂs 4, IÂve got to grow this damd tomato plant to fruit to really be sure. I started five varieties of tomatos this year. If it turns out to be one of my varieties IÂll know 3 is probably the solution. If it turns out to be a totally different variety and has no heat, then IÂm stumped?

Here are the two startsÂ

{{gwi:1194599}}

{{gwi:1194600}}

{{gwi:1194601}}

If it turns out to be number 4, another poster and I are going to get rich!

Anyone want to pre-order seed at $20.00/seed? LOL LOL

Bill

Comments (3)

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, you sure had some bad luck with pests and weather. Glad to see some of your survivors are doing well. I have a Chinese Five Color pepper, also. They are so cool. Yours should have pods turning various colors soon. I really don't care what they end up tasting like, they look so great I'll keep growing them anyway.

My plants were set back by slugs but most are looking better now. I never should have moved them to shade to cut down on water needs while I was on vacation. The slugs all hang out in the shade it seems. It is encouraging to see how well most of the plants came back, though. They are tough dudes.

Tomatoes seem to show up in the weirdest places for me too. Sometimes I'm sure I plant only one seed and two plants come up. It happened a few times with peppers also. I'm guessing the seeds may stick together. But I can't figure out why I don't notice that since I play with the seeds way more than a normal person would.

I'll pass on your tomato seed offer :) I have WAY MORE seeds than I need already!

• rootdoctor
    15 years ago

Just a suggestion, as soon as your seedlings/starts are 6-8" tall, transplant them into 1 gallon containers. After 2-4 weeks, they should be rootbound and ready for another transplant into your finishing container. I don't use anything less than 5 gallon for chili's - ornamental peppers as well. The plants seem to really blast off both times I transplant. I guess it depends on what soil/soiless mix and the nutrient type as well. That plant is beautiful. I will order one next year fo sho! Thanks TiMo

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

naturegirl, I do imagine the Five Color would have been a beautiful plant if it hadnt been attacked. I still have some seed left so Ill definitely grow it again next season. Yes, my tongue was in my cheek when I offered the seed I doubt it will produce a hot tomato! Im sure I screwed up somehow and inadvertently inserted a tomato seed in the starter pot.

rootdoctor, I fully agree five gallon pots or lager are best for pepper plants. I do have a number of five gallon pots but to be honest, I really didnt think any of the plants would survive. I had enough potting soil, peat moss and pine bark to fill the smaller pots so I gave it a shot with little expectation of success.

If nothing else, this season has been a learning experience. Boy, do I ever have an increased empathy for those who make a living growing the food we eat.

Thanks again,

Bill

BTW, after seeing my post again I think I came across as having no sense of humor "GF would know Id be pi$$ed!" if she pulled a practical joke on me. Not really the case, she knows how frustrating this pepper season has been and would not rub salt in the wounds LOL.

Sponsored