Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
restoreproject2012

Algae & Moss on Paving - Algon or Jeyes?

restoreproject2012
12 years ago

Hi all, I'm trying to find out what would be good to use on some old paving & flags that have a lot of algae & moss growth on them for a garden I'm working on. Has anyone used or heard of Algon Organic Path & patio cleaner & is it any good? I've used Jeyes fluid in the past & know there are a few patio cleaners on the market but does anyone have any advice on ones that work & do get rid of the algae & moss as well without using to many chemicals?

Comments (3)

• jaco42
    11 years ago

I know this post is quite old and hope you got your answer however couldn't you simply pressure wash the pavers to remove the moss?

• beardypete
    11 years ago

Better late than never! Algon works really well, but does have a significant down-side in the form of an unpleasant and quite strong odour. After application the chemical dries and there's no problem, but it seems to be reactivated whenever it rains and the bad smell returns. It does wear off after a couple of weeks and the algae/moss stays away for many months.

The chemical is said to be harmless to pets, but it is strongly acidic to the tongue and stings like heck if you get it in a cut, or under your nails. That said, my cat hasn't come limping in, nor has my carpet been eaten away where I might well have walked some into the house. I've just done some research and find that the active ingredient of Algon is acetic acid (from the RHS site, link attached) - it's expensive vinegar!

It's one of those good news/bad news things, but is definitley worth using and doesn't have the Jeyes fluid side effects!

HTH
    Pete

Here is a link that might be useful: RHS advice for Gardeners

• nil13
    11 years ago

I know this is necroed, but why not use just concrete cleaner? It's high strength lye which is sodium hydroxide or NaOH. It breaks down to sodium ions and water. If its basic pH is a problem just neutralize with a little vinegar after the fact.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction
More Discussions