Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Soil amendment ... has anyone tried this?

I just found this product at my local Home Depot. It's Schultz's Aquatic Plant Soil. I think it will be great to add to regular potting soil and perlite to further lighten up the soil and improve drainage. Has anyone tried it? Some products, such as pumice, are not available around here -- of course I could order online and then pay postage. This product is readily available. It's basically small granules of expanded clay -- it won't break down and it's fairly light-weight. What do you think? I've ordered larger sized versions of it for orchid mixes in the past. This is about the size of small perlite.

{{gwi:1207486}}

Comments (12)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just took a pic of the granules.

• mystwitch
    16 years ago

Dave,
    I have heard of others using it. I am trying the Walmart "Special Kitty" kitty litter which looks very much like that. Supposed to be straight fired clay with no additives. I like it so far and it's cheap too!
    kb

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Dave that's what I've been using for a number of years. I've posted about it a few times. It's great stuff.
    Karyn

Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn, I thought someone had posted it (Subliminal flashback). But if I don't see a picture of it, it's out of my mind -- LOL!

Original Author
    16 years ago

kb, I'll check into the 'Special Kitty'. This Aquatic Soil is about $8.50 per bag, but still does go a long way when mixed in with soil and perlite.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

KB I think you had mentioned something about that kitty litter previously. Do you know if it's a neutral pH? The aquatic mix is kind of expensive but like Dave said it does go a long way unless you are using it for water plants. I go through it so fast for my pond plants.
    Karyn

• musarojo
    16 years ago

IÂve heard about the Wal-Mart "special kitty" litter before. On other boards, several people in Arizona say they are using it for their plumeria and/or succulent mixes. It seems to be the last kitty litter brand on the market that is pure fired clay with no additives. I donÂt remember hearing about aquatic plant soil, but will make a note about it. Pumice isnÂt always available in my neighborhood and is only available in small bags at the one nursery that sometimes carries it.

Philip

• karyn1
    16 years ago

So this "Special Kitty" will not dissolve in water? That would be a huge savings.
    Karyn

• mystwitch
    16 years ago

The "Special Kitty" in a red bag was about $2.50 a bag. I will have to check it next season when I do some repotting but it seems to be working great. I don't know if it specifies the ph but it is fired clay w/no additives. I mix a big handful in the bottom 3rd of the pots for drainage. Yes, I am one of those who still uses clay shards or rocks in the bottom for drainage. It works for me.

Original Author
    16 years ago

mystwitch, I will look for this product. Thanks for the tip. I am going to try to add more 'roughage' to my soils next season.

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

thanks for the tip about the litter. i usually use large pieces of charcoal at the bottom of the pot for drainage also. since i been reading the info here, i have been more conscious of providing good drainage for all my plants and they are generally doing better although i still kill a few every year. i will have to go to walmart to look for it. walmarts, hd, costco etc here in ontario do not carry the same merchandise. so disappointing for me because i read about all these great products that you all use and I can only order them online and with shipping etc., it becomes quite costly.
    sue

• musarojo
    16 years ago

Has anyone used Turface in their potting mixes? ItÂs supposed to be the same thing as aquatic plant soil but it sells for far less.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner