Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katawil

Kudos to Ginger

kategardens
19 years ago

I was posting actively on this board in the spring but stopped abruptly, due to a computer meltdown (while reading Gardenweb!), followed by a work crisis, followed most unexpectedly by a medical crisis (BF diagnosed with cancer). All by way of saying, not due to lack of interest.

I've recently begun browsing Gardenweb again, and was happy to see this forum alive and thriving, as evidenced by some very lively discussion threads. It's pretty cool to see everyone putting their collective heads together to research some of the very specific questions that are posted. Congratulations and thanks are clearly due to Ginger for her campaign to get this started and ongoing efforts to sustain the conversation (along with INK, Nandina and others). I'm particularly happy to see that people who normally spend time on other Gardenweb forums (fora?) are stopping by from time to time to post.

My plans for gardening, historical research and even reading of garden history tomes are necessarily on hold for the moment, but it is nice to know that there is a still a place where I can drop in from time to time to get a garden design 'fix' when I have a bit of free time. I'm afraid I'm going to be primarily a lurker for the foreseeable future-- at most a drive-by poster rather than a sustained contributor to the conversation. But I look forward to a time when that changes. In the meantime, thanks for a welcome distraction.

Best to all -- Kate

P.S. to Jill P.: what's the status of your backyard hedge and the new neighbors?

Comments (5)

• JillP
    19 years ago

wow, you remembered the hedge saga! The hedge is still there, very untrimed, and I have still not met my new neighbors and they have lived there for almost 4 months! The day they moved in, we left for vacation. I think they leave every weekend. I say hi to the little boys, and they look up at me from under their eyebrows and say nothing. (the dh walks into the back yard and they ask him to come over to play, they know I am the mean ole witch). When they have been out in the yard, they have had company, or I am in full gardening filth and do not want to introduce myself. I thnk nearer Christmas I will take over a plate of cookies. They do not do much with the yard, I really think the hedge will stay and only get trimmed if I do it, which is fine with me.

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Kate-
    Hopefully bad things come in threes and you are done for a while. I had some similar difficulties that lasted several years--yikes, really does put your life on hold in some ways. We'll try to keep you distracted--in fits and starts, it seems. This forum kind of jolts along rather than giving a smooth ride :()

Best,
    Ginger

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Ginger--why DOES it "jolt?" I've noticed that as well...is it because we only post when a particular project grabs our fancy? Or our knowledge base?

Let's speculate....

melanie

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Maybe its the knowledge base. So much of the forum's posts concern very specific requests pertaining to historical time, area, style, urban vs rural. etc. In asking for such particularized information, posters are requiring the answers of experts (or more web trolling by us amateurs!). Some forums seem to have these experts/professionals who are willing to spend time almost daily answering posts(like Landscape Design, Trees, Tropicals,Name That Plant, Winter Sowing, etc) Others, like the Garden Writers forum, seem to languish for lack of TLC from well-schooled forum users.

I myself have no expertise in historical garden restoration. Only interest. I had wanted this forum to be more concerned with the practical aspects of common, everyday garden restoration, renewal,revamping,take it apart and put it back together-type gardening.

So here we are . . .

Ginger

• mjsee
    19 years ago

That's my assessment of the situation as well. I think we'll see more traffic in the winter--when the amatuer web-researchers among us have more time to spend googling...

melanie

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions