Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

Lookie what I found

kuvaszlvr
9 years ago

Found him in my garden. I spooked him into the greenhouse. Wish I had my video camera with me when one of our Border Collies was sniffing around, haven't seen many things that funny. He sniffed him, bolted straight up on his hind legs and twisted like a ballerina. I thought I was going to die I laughed so hard. He's about 5-6ft. My husband walked out into the greenhouse later and actually bumped his nose, he was stretched out on a shelf with his head stretched out a bit. Husband took him to a far corner of our property, if he was planning on living in the greenhouse the dogs would make sure he didn't last too long.
Pam

Comments (19)

• robeb
    9 years ago

Great shot with the forked tongue showing.

• don555
    9 years ago

Very cool! Is that a black rat snake?

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Cool!

Stoney

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Awesome!

Josh

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

Beautiful snake. They are good at killing rats and mice and are very beneficial. Thank you for not killing it as some would have.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

NIce rat snake. We have tons of'em around here. They live in the trees when it's hot, and you can see the skins hanging down from the oaks. Really bad tempered though. They WILL bite you if you don't grab'em behind the head. Many little small teefus.
    They don't play dead like the spreading adder (hognose snake) does...

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Only snakes I kill are the more aggressive poison ones, like Copperheads and Water Mocs, well, I take that back, several years ago we had a really big water snake move into our ornamental pond, which would be fine, but he was using our pond as a smorgasbord and eating all my goldfish... sorry, that's not acceptable. And we did try to get rid of him by removing the pond. I don't even kill rattlers.

That's interesting that you say that Tom, this guy was not bad tempered at all, he was very mellow. Well, for me he was terrified and trying his best to get away from me, I didn't want to hurt him, just look at him. For my husband, he was very mellow. Mike grabbed him to take him to a safer location and he didn't seem to mind at all, Mike was laughing saying he thinks he's a pet. Oh well, hopefully he will stay outside the inner fence. I don't think our Kuvs or BC's will bother him, but our rescue Pyr is a hunter and a killer.
    Pam

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Lots of Black Rat Snakes around here . I get them in my garden all the time. They are usually very mellow and do make a good pet.

• sjetski
    9 years ago

Nice little rodent hunter.

I've seen one tame up fast, it attempted a few savage bites when caught, then allowed a bunch of us to handle him afterwards. Obviously not poisonous but the needle-teeth can launch some nasty bacteria under the skin and into the bloodstream. Handle with care.

Steve

• tomt226
    9 years ago

sjetski,
    Exactly. They calm down after awhile. The worst injury you can get from one of those is when they bite, latch on, and you try to rip yer hand away, leaving long cuts.
    Kind of unnerving to be walking through the woods of an evening, and have one drop his head down out of a tree and look at you...eye level.
    I'm so glad they're no Black Mambas around here...

• sjetski
    9 years ago

Holy cow Tom, that's exactly how we caught the rat snake i mentioned earlier.

Walking down a tight woodland trail, my sister pauses for a moment, then notices one forking it's toungue at her, just inches away from her face.

I've never heard a more piercing shriek than the one that followed. Her hubby was the one who "rescued her" and caught it. .. lol

Steve

• tomt226
    9 years ago

sjetski,
    LOL.
    As a surveyor, I've had to work around snakes all my life. We got a job topoing an abandoned trailer park on the banks of the Colorado river, about 10 acres. It had been abandoned for 15-20 years and was all grown up with trees and brush up to about 10-12'. Full of fire ants too. As we started the topo, we noticed that the trees were full of 12" long copperheads that'd drop on you when started to cut line. The fire ants had run the snakes up the trees. Every old septic tank was full of rattlers and copperheads too. We left and got snake leggings and cheap cowboy hats with flat brims, and kept our collars buttoned. We even had copperheads in the survey truck. Luckily no bites...

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

YOw... yeah, spending 8 wks in Colorado for field camp, I came across more rattlers than I could count. But never an aggressive one. Colorado is a snaky area. A friend of mine lost her Kuvasz a couple of years ago, she got home and her girl had several bite marks, vet couldn't save her... so sad. But I really hate copperheads, they are nasty snakes. I like snakes, always have, but I usually avoid the poisonous one. I definitely prefer snakes to mice, I just don't like it when they eat my frogs.
    Pam

• tomt226
    9 years ago

I LOVES frog laigs...

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not my froggies you don't! Two things I have never tried, frog legs and Mt. oysters.
    Pam

• alynne68
    9 years ago

Beautiful snake Pam!

When I was about 4 my mother and I came across one similar walking to the bay in Delaware. I remember it being bigger than an Anaconda. My mother picked me up, froze and screamed until my Poppop came and saved us. Wonder why I still like them.

• User
    9 years ago

Wow Pam,

I didn't realize one of my ex-GF's was living in your neck of the woods.

Next time you see her tell her Bill says hello!

LOL

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Pam,
    Colorado River as in Tejas.
    Snakiest area I've ever been in was the Aransas Pass National Wildlife Refuge on the Gulf Coast. Used to have a bow-hunt there every year for deer and hogs. Place is full of 14' 'gators and 6' water moccasins, and Volkswagen sized hogs. Place has fields of Tepin peppers too.
    BTW, last year a couple of fishermen killed a 14' gator in a slough a couple of miles from here. Right downstream from Austin. Had to pull it out with a wrecker...

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hahaha, I didn't even think river, guess my brain stopped after Colorado. ;-) Snakiest place I've ever been is Colorado. I remember one day in field camp north of Del Norte we were walking down a hillside that was covered in holes, as we walked down the rattles followed us, it was such an eerie feeling.

hahahaha, BILL!! you are so bad!

thanks alynne. One of my coworkers was telling me that it looked like the snake she called animal control to come remove from her garage, except the one in her garage (and she is using her hands here to show me it's circumference) was about 6" in diameter. I told her she had to have had a python then cos we don't have any that big around here. She told me she might be exaggerating, but it sure seemed to look that big. ;-)
    Pam

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living