Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott123456_gw

Mutant ghost 2

scott123456
9 years ago

All my ghost peppers on this plant are red except a branch where they are orange and oddly shaped . Not sure if they will turn red eventually or not.

Comments (10)

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Now that's weird.

I've been doing this for quite a few years and never heard of two different color/style pods growing on the same plant but different branches which is visible in the picture. I really think you should take a large number of pictures from many different angles of this phenomenon/abnormality.

From there I don't know what to suggest other than keeping it alive even if it involves shipping it to someone on the forum in a USDA Zone that will allow overwintering outdoors.

Just my opinion...

• User
    9 years ago

Personally I don't worry too much if a few pods don't adhere to the "standard" shape / size. If you're growing a red Bhut, they should eventually turn red. If they don't it could indicate a problem inside the pods. I'd cut one open now to see if any rot has set in. If no, then let them go through their course. If so, amputate the branch and toss.

Bill

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

No argument that pods on the entire plant will vary in shape but OP reports one branch has different color pods ripening at the same time, red and orange, and the orange pods are differently shaped compared to the red pods.

My original observation stands, weird that one branch on a multiple branch plant has different color/shape pods than the rest at the same time as I've never read of this before.

More pics are needed to change my opinion.

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 17:26

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I had a Japanese maple that had variegated (patterned green and white) leaves. Over time, branch by branch, it changed to all-green leaves. Eventually the few branches that were still variegated just died.

IMO scott should harvest the pods on the mutant branch and cut it off. Save seeds only from pods with the "correct" shape and color.

Dennis

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. I guess it not so much a branch as a shoot from the base of the plant, at soil line. My fingers are on that shoot in the picture.

This post was edited by scott123456 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 19:50

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the normal pods. You can see the orange ones in the left background.

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Normal pod

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture of the isolated shoot

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Is it possible this "shoot" grew from another seed? The only way to tell would be at the end of the season to see if it grew from the original stem or next to it.

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, no you can see where it's coming off the main trunk right below the soil level. Plus, one plant was directly transplanted into that pot. No seeds whatsoever outside, except the ones in this years pods. Also I'm not growing any orange peppers this year.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County