Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
web_of_hair

One Of My My Tabasco Plants

web_of_hair
17 years ago

Man I wish all my plants did this well!

{{gwi:1225843}}

Let it thirst a little and you can see all the peppers!

Comments (10)

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

WOW! Nice. Tobascos sure are nice producers. I like them a lot. Very ornamental as well.

Chris

• ucovinero
    17 years ago

Thats how my Habs put out~ Ooops Bragadoshus

• dilbert
    17 years ago

My tobascos are also the largest pepper plants in my garden. Mine are slightly less productive than yours, though.

Maybe, tobasco is my favorite tasting. They are much hotter than I expected. I found 10 tobasco peppers has the heat of 1 habanero which isn't bad considering how small they are.

• web_of_hair
    Original Author
    17 years ago

just picked 140 of them and it still looks the same....

• djfp
    17 years ago

How big of a pot is that thing in? Is this its first season?

• web_of_hair
    Original Author
    17 years ago

12" Pot first year. This is one of the plants that almost died due to a late frost!

• web_of_hair
    Original Author
    17 years ago

here's what it looked like the day after I put it outside and caught a crummy late frost. I had 23+ plants die due to that late frost.

{{gwi:1225845}}

• ric_oregon
    17 years ago

The seedling looks like you topped it? That would explain the bushy appearance of the plant, but I had no idea a plant could put out that many pods at one time. Do you top other varities of peppers? Some of my plants are pretty sparse.

Also, seedling looks like you have mulched already. I have read that you should wait til roots are more established.

• web_of_hair
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well after the late frost some of the leaves looked real nasty n I thought that leaving tem on would do more harm than good. So I cut those leaves off. I then post a question on here aboot the late frost n all and someone said never to clip off the leaves just leave them on and they can help the plant (can do worse cuttin them off). So I didn't top off or clip any of my other plants that were left alive after the frost. SO I guess the question do I top off other plants, No.

BTW This is only my second year growing peppers, heck growing anything! And after my first try to hybrid my 2 favorite peppers (Jalapeno and Habanero) I succeeded.

I hope I succeed at winterizing my Tabasco plants. And winterizing my hybrid.

Well the seedling was pretty darned big when it was put in the pot so I sprinkled sparringly the mulch.

• web_of_hair
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well so far I've picked over 1,000 peppers from 3 Tabasco plants.... Now they are inside and have many many many many more peppers left to rippen.....

I sure hope I can successfully keep them over the winter and start producing peppers at the begining of May!

Any overwintering sprays or anything that may help them survive the next 6 months?