Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_in_colorado

Plant potatoes between squash?

bob_in_colorado
10 years ago

Garden space is at a premium. I'm sure everyone knows this. I only have about 800 sq/ft.

I have a good sized square devoted to squash plants. I'm thinking about planting my potatoes in between the rows of 3x3 grid squash. The squash plants get big, the potatoes get really tall. I doubt one will shade out the other.

What do you guys and guyettes think?

Comments (6)

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

What kind of squash?

• bob_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Butternut, 8-ball, spaghetti, zucchini, Italian zucchini, yellow crookneck, pumpkins and baby pumpkins

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

I think you'd be ok with the zucchini and crookneck, they're usually bushy vs vining, and don't get too monstrous. Butternut, it would depend on the variety - the small-fruited ones are relatively tame plants.

But pumpkins, or any of the big, vining winter squash, no. They take over everything, and their leaves will grow taller and taller to take out the competition.

I haven't grown 8-ball.

• bob_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks David

• digit
    10 years ago

I plant squash between the cabbage, Bob.

That is, I make a 2nd planting of summer squash between early cabbage plants. The cabbage can be taken out in mid-July and the squash will grow and produce about the 1st of September.

You have given me some ideas! My potatoes always seem to be early varieties. I like 'em! So, I begin harvesting about the 1st of August. Could I . . . might I . . . would I be crazy to . . ? What if the early cabbage was harvested and quick-maturing potatoes went in? Would they be good neighbors to the summer squash and make a crop by September?

The squash would have a week or so lead on the potatoes but the cabbage kind of "suppress" the squash until they are out of the way. I'd have to do some shopping for sprouting spuds in early July. Hmmm. . . .

Steve

• bob_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I'm going to try planting one row between my squashes. They are in a 12'x12' area, each in about a 3'x3' area. My potatoes grew very tall last year and the squashi are growing from seed.

The potatoes are German Butterball, so they're smaller anyways.