Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjohansen_gw

What are these guys?

cjohansen
10 years ago

Season is definitely over up here in the north. I've taken a few plants in for the winter. Trimmed down both foliage and roots, repotted to smaller pots, and keep them near windows. Plants look healthy and happy, but today I noticed lots of small creatures around their pots. I have noticed earlier that the biggest Poblano has had some tiny black flies flying around it, but it hasn't been bothersome enough to do anything about. Maybe this has something to do with it?

The creatures are really small, and I don't have a macro lens, so it's hard to get a good shot of them, but here goes:

Here's another shot:

The pot of my Aji Limon is riddled with these guys:

The plants themselves look good to me. The Poblano was moved in and cut entirely back on August 24th, it's already more bushy than it's ever been:

The Habanero was cut down later, but is also looking good:

What are these guys, and how do I get rid of them?

Comments (19)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Grass hoppers, maybe !

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really? I'm by no means an expert, but those really don't look like grasshoppers to me. I also don't live in an area with lots of grasshoppers (though there are some).

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I am sorry . I got the size mixed up. I was only looking at the top picture. More like aphids to me

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

The Aji Limon looks like an aphid infestation or something similar. You need to treat the plant now, and continue until no signs of them. They'll spread to all plants sooner or later...

Sandy

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Yep, the green ones are aphids. Plants coming in for the winter need a soak-down first using your favorite spray. I would spray it down outside in the morning, soil and all, then leave them outside for the rest of the day, as long as its above ~ say 45f. Something Neem or Pyrethrin-based ought to do the trick.

The black gnats are unrelated and something entirely different, those are fungus gnats that lay their eggs/larva in the soil. You would need to saturate the soil with Mosquito Dunks for a couple of weeks to break their life cycle. You'll have to strike the balance of saturating the soil without overwatering your plants at the same time.

I linked the Mosquito Dunks product below.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosquito Dunks

This post was edited by sjetski on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 9:39

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I will try spraying with a pine soap similar to pine-sol, which I read that people in my country use to fight aphids.

We're already at ~35F during the day here, so I really don't want to stick the plants outside. Is it really necessary to keep the plants outside after spraying? The soap I intend to use is what we use for our floor and has a pleasant smell to it, so that won't be a problem.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

It isn't necessary to keep them outside. Just watch your mixture ratio, you wouldn't want to burn your plants with a strong formula.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Steve

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Aphid.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah spray them with insecticidal soap, leave it on for a couple hours and then you can rinse them off if you like. I don't bother rinsing them and it doesn't seem to bother the plant. No need to put them outside after spraying or any other time although the cold would probably kill the Aphids just fine. However, the plant will likely go with it. Just keep in mind that if one plant has them, it is likely that others in the house do as well. They don't just attack pepper plants. You have to kill them all at once or they just keep hopping from plant to plant.
    Bruce

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Bruce. I'm pretty sure they're on my Bay Laurel too, it has sticky residue (mildew?) on its leaves. "Luckily" I don't have a lot of plants now, only 4 peppers, and they're not close enough to each other to be an achievable journey for these guys. At least that's what I naively think.

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, one Habanero and the Aji Limon are definitely being visited by aphids. I was studying the plants, and couldn't see anything, but later I found some of them on the table beneath the plant. Upon revisiting the plants I could spot a few, but it's hard cause they're really tiny, and pretty much the same color as the plant. Sneaky bastards!

Now I've also discovered similar-looking, yet smaller and white creatures in the dirt on my Aji Limon. Are these aphids too, or something else? Should I spray the medium as well, or do I need to drown it in some product as suggested earlier? (I'm not in the US, so I can't get that exact product).

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

The little white things in the bottom picture there are aphid husks, they've shed out of an old skin and made new. So yes, they are on that plant too. Spray all your plants, and spray them every other day a couple of times, then check. I've had good luck stopping early infestations in less than a week. by being religous about spraying often.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

If the white ones are moving, then obviously cannot be husks. Maybe the are from another tribe called WHITE FLIES.
    White flies, jump and fly.

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Aji Limon has been cut down quite a lot, so I simply dipped it right in a bucket of 3% pine soap (as suggested by the fatalii.net guy). The bigger Poblano was sprayed. Both were rinsed 20 minutes later with cold water (another bath for the Aji Limon).

So far looking good. The dipping bucket with clean cold water has several dead aphids floating around in it, and I found lots of dead aphids on the plant as well. Will repeat the treatment tomorrow to be sure.

While keeping my plants inside, this won't happen again, right? I mean, if all my plants are aphid free, aphids don't just appear from out of nowhere? I suspect the source this time was a store-bought basil plant, but I will not keep my chilies on the same floor as herbs anymore.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

For the small white creatures do a search for thrips they look similar to what I can see from the photo.

Mark

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The aphids will most likely re-appear.
    Stay vigilant.

Josh

• andyandy
    10 years ago

Aphids

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I fought these bastards for four days, and now I haven't seen a trace of them for several days. I used a 3% pine soap solution for ~20 minutes, then rinsed with cold water. The small plants (recently brought in and cut down) where simply submerged in the liquid, while the bigger one was sprayed.

I treated the plants as soon as I saw new babies go at the plants - once the first day, twice a day the three following days. Worked a charm, and the plants have really sped up their growing after getting rid of the buggers. Thanks everyone!

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Great news! Congrats on winning this round! :-)