Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noinwi

My little green harvest

noinwi
17 years ago

Well, temps got into the 20's last night and there's snow in the forcast for this week so I had to get everything off my plants yesterday. I'll be freezing the jalapenos and stringing up the rest(single file)and hopefully they'll ripen and not rot. Clockwise from top: aji dulce(spain), early jalapeno, chimayo and guajillo.

{{gwi:1233063}}

Comments (11)

• scottish_arthur
    17 years ago

I think you were wise to get them picked whether green or not.!!!! Nice looking crop although green.! All the hard work of 4 months growing for some peppers thats what makes us pepper nuts lol but all worth it in the end green or red.

Here is some i picked out my greenhouse last friday 6/10/06 i think lol

As they ripen i like to pick them so the others can get full attention to ripen after they are picked and i notice they ripen faster on the whole as a plant.

These are a mix of: Green Jalapeno's, Thai Dragon, Chocolate Haberno's, Bolivian Rainbows, Orange Haberno, Golden Haberno, Lemon Drops and Ring of Fire. I had 3 tiers of these peppers in my dehydrator to dry at this time. There are a pretty sight when all the colours are mixed together eh.?

Arthur.

• noinwi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beautiful, Arthur! How long does it take for those to dry? I have a cheapie dehydrator in storage somewhere, but I don't grow enough of anything to warrant using it. I have my greenies strung up in the kitchen, as we're in a small apartment and it is always warm(and dry). We were using the A/C 3 days ago, but today it's snowing.
    You've got some pretty hot peppers there. DH can't eat the really hot ones(tummy troubles), but I have conditioned him up to a medium hot salsa over the years. I keep a small ristra of cayennes for my own use. I haven't worked up to habs yet, so I guess that makes me a wimp, too, lol!

• scottish_arthur
    17 years ago

It takes 24 hrs to really dehydrate them to the way thats required in my dehydrator, where they are really brittle to the touch so you can crush them to a powder.!!!

The dehydrator doesnt use much electricity as i have tested it looking at the amount it uses per hr and over 24hrs it probably uses 50p - £1 thats around $50cents in american money so its minimal.

Put your peppers on a plate on a sunny window cill to help the ripen as they need heat and light but will ripen to some degree of colour..!

Arthur.

• noinwi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If I only had a sunny window! We do have one large window in the livingroom, but it is on the west side and gets a brief blast of sun in the afternoon...and it's crammed end to end with houseplants, including a small Sebes pepper, which is my back-up in case the others don't ripen :)

• coldlime
    17 years ago

Mad props to you guys on the hotties!! They look great.
    I can't wait till I get my seeds in the ground.
    Dennis

• svalli
    17 years ago

Wednesday evening before the frost I went to harvest as many green pods as I could before it got too dark to see. I was able to get three grocery bags full of hot ones and laundry basket of sweet ones. Now the garden is a really sad sight; there is hundreds of mushy green hot peppers hanging in the dead plants.

• ardnek710
    17 years ago

Warm dark places also work to ripen. Or brown paper bags work really well also. We always pick our chilis off the plants at the first sign of ripening in order to let the plant concentrate on the rest of the chilis. We put them on plates in a warm (not necessarily sunny) spot or put them in brown lunch bags and check them periodically.

kendra

• junkmanme
    17 years ago

I would suggest that you roast the Chimayo peppers on the BBQ grill (till the skin blackens a bit), then put in Zip-Lock baggies and put in freezer.
    When you pull them out of the freezer, the skin will peel off easily with a scrape or two of a paring knife. Then wash out the seeds and placenta. You'll LOVE the flavor (green) if put on sandwiches or whatever!

This is what I do with "Big-Jim", Nu-Mex 6-4, and other anaheim-type chiles.

Best Regards,
    Bruce (Junkmanme in New Mexico)

• danial
    17 years ago

If you string them up and hang in window or warm room they will ripen and not rot. they will start to dry but will ripen. Been doing it for years. From a cold area to.Pick a table full be for frost. Hung 21 strings.
    Dan
    p.s. good looking pepper to you and Arthur

• noinwi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Danial, that's just what I did, and this is how they're doing. The ones in the center are cayennes from last year.
    {{gwi:1233069}}

• danial
    17 years ago

looks good have a good burn