Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenbee_1_gw

New roses and questions?

queenbee_1
13 years ago

I have gone 'MAD' over roses, completely and utterly MAD,I tell you. Today,I found a great little place filled w/ tons of roses..but some don't have labels. The plants are very healthy, have tons of new growth, buds, a few open blooms..and they are all 3gal pots for $8.50--even the labeled ones.. I purchased: Ambassador, Garden Party and another Tropicana.. I can't seem to find much information about Ambassador, a bi-color orange and yellow, HT.. It is really nice and I decided to get 2. Then I spotted Garden Party, it was on my wish list because I had seen "some one's" photo on the gallery page and thought it was nice... Do any of you have information on these two roses?

I am sure I will go back...They have Peace, Chicago Peace as well as several others that are on my wish list.. And I might have to get some more Garden Party... Really nice white w/ palest pink edges.

Would you all purchase unlabeled roses if they are nice colors, size, shape?? What type of problems will I run into?? Thank you QB

Comments (3)

• queenbee_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please tell me why my photos will not post....It says the file it too large.. I need help... Sorry..

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Gardenweb has a limit of 60 Kb for attachments which is why most of us embed our photos instead. You need to upload photos to a image hosting site to be able to embed. A search will turn up free sites and directions.

I saw someone in zone 5 I believe post a pic of Garden Party. They must give it winter protection. I love its looks. The colors will be more/less intense depending upon the season but it's always pretty. I had it in too much shade and it was susceptable to mildew.

Peace is gorgeous but blows fast.

Chicago Peace is one of my top 10 favs. It lasts longer than Peace and here the colors are rich peaches & rose.

All (almost) hybrid teas are going to have rust, mildew, blackspot sometime unless you spray. Those are the most common problems. Some springs the aphid population explodes and goes after buds.

Sunset and Ortho both have booklets on rose basics. Used book stores and libraries are inexpensive sources. And if you haven't found it yet, Help Me Find is a great site for rose searches. Many people here place photos there. Lots of photos of Ambassador and one person gives it an excellent.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.helpmefind.com/roses/plants.php

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Ambassador,

http://www.helpmefind.com/roses/plants.php?searchNmTyp=2&searchNm=Ambassador&rid=3975&sbSearch=SEARCH&tab=1
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    You can go to photobucket.com and sign up for free. After you create an account you can upload your pics to your account. Then, copy and paste the HTML code (link) they provide for each pic into your rose forum thread or post.