Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salt96

flowers for full southern sun

salt96
17 years ago

I live in a duplex that directly faces south. I want to buy some flowers to put in planters and/or hanging baskets at the front step. Last year I had a hard time finding any plants that could tolerate the full sun. It was just so hot it fried the plants even when watering every day. There is no shade in the front at all. Are there any flowers that can tolerate this direct sun and heat? I cannot plant anything so it will have to be something I can keep in pots or baskets. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)

• buford
    17 years ago

I have the same problem with my front porch. I've tried everything in hanging baskets, even roses. But you will have to water at least daily, the sun will dry out anything not in the ground.

You can try petunias or lantana, they like the sun. Try using potting soil with some sort of water retention pellets in it so the baskest may stay moist. You should probably at least mist the plants on very hot sunny days.

• herbalflower
    17 years ago

Try Zinnas or moss roses

• qqqq
    17 years ago

How about Santolina? I can take the heat like nothing else I grow -- it is also very drought tolerant. There is a gray variety and a green variety both have yellow button-like flowers in the Spring.

Another herb that does well with sharp drainage and lots of sun is Lavender.

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

By late July around here the only thing that still looks fresh is lantana. It thrives in the sun no matter how hot.

• louisianagal
    17 years ago

melampodium, black eyed susan, lantana

• buford
    17 years ago

Hey! I finally have ONE lantana coming back after the winter. I just noticed some green coming up.

• catbird
    17 years ago

I had one lantana come back this year, too, but that's probably because we had a mild winter. I haven't found any that are hardy in our 7a winters, but I enjoy them enough to buy new ones every year. And they do take the heat!

• salt96
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone! I will try some of your suggestions.

I don't mind watering everyday. It is just frustrating when you do and the plants still die.

• jimtnc
    17 years ago

Someone from Texas posted last year that lantana's to those folks are similar to invasive weeds. He said once it gets started out there it keeps on going like the Eveready bunny. I had one in a hanging container that looked great all summer last year. May get another. It' kinda hard to find something to handle our heat and not be on the invasive list too.

• kathyinalabama
    17 years ago

Salt, you might want to give Hardy Ice Plant (Delosperma Cooperi) a try. You wouldn't have to water it everyday. It does VERY well in containers and will bloom all summer long. It's evergreen in my zone (7b) with foliage turning slightly red during the winter.

Hardy Ice Plant:
    {{gwi:1262135}}

• sjpuck2208
    17 years ago

The hardy ice plants thrive in hot sun and do well. I also have great luck with herbs such as old english lavender (blooms beautiful blue flowers) and Oregano. They both bloom and love the sun. When you brush against either you get the nice scent. I also have a lemon scented verbana that thrives in the hot sun. Good luck..
    Steve

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals