Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfr1107

Are there any plant swaps in the ABQ area?

jfr1107
18 years ago

Greetings,

I am new to the NE heights of ABQ. I was wondering if there are any organized plant swaps, and/or even any ambitious individual swappers (or wannabee swappers)in the area?

Thanks.

John R.

Comments (9)

• cactus_dude
    18 years ago

Hi John-

I'd be interested in a plant swap, but we may not be interested in the same type of plants. Take a look at my trade list and let me know. Thanks.

cd

• desertlvr
    18 years ago

I might be interested in a plant swap. I go back and forth between Alb. and Las Cruces/ EP frequently, so I can obtain a lot of things that are hard to find here. I am mostly interseted in xeric plants, including desert adapted palm species.

• abq_bob
    18 years ago

I don't know of any regularly scheduled plant swaps, but I'm sure we could whip something together. I'm not sure what I'd have avail. to swap until a little later in the season, like around early May-ish (?).

I have some boring "old stand-bys" like run of the mill iris or daylilies. Hopefully I'd also have something interesting like some passiflora, datura, jasmine, kiwi, or scented geraniums, but I'd need to take cuttings or sow some seeds to get some extra's started. Oh... I do have a TON of weeds to get rid of too :P esp. fox-tail grasses and wild onions!

• jfr1107
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, maybe we can try to get together in early May? Maybe at a park somewhere in town that is convenient to a lot of folks.

BTW, I have a TON of "Jupiter's Beard" = Centranthus ruber in my yard. It looks that it likes the climate here!!!! One is already blooming. I would like to find a white flowered one. If anyone wants some of these let me know. I need to make room for other plants.

• abq_bob
    18 years ago

Sounds good to me - I'll start potting things up and trying to get some starts going from my Spring trimmings. BTW, Tiguex Park (pron. Teegway - I think) near "Old Town" just re-opened after renovation. Dunno how central it is for everybody, but it's handy to Old Town, the museums, and I-40, hehe.

• lindseylu
    18 years ago

Hello,

Potential plant swappers might be interested in this upcoming event (it's NOT a swap but who knows, it might be a way to get some interesting plants and maybe meet other swappers!). The Council of Albuquerque Garden Clubs is hosting their 30th annual Garden Fair and Plant Sale on Friday, April 28 from 12-3 and Saturday, April 29 from 9-4. More information is at www.abqgardencenter.com.

Lindsey :)

• quercus_abq
    18 years ago

Again, not a swap, but some good plant sales and a place to meet other plant enthusiasts whom you might trade with:

4/22 AND 4/23 10AM - 4PM
    CACTUS AND SUCCULENT SOCIETY SHOW AND SALE.
    CONTACT BRADY WOMACK FOR MORE INFO - 343-9335

Native Plant Sale

Friday, April 28, 12 noon to 3 p.m.
    Saturday, April 29, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    in the patio and patio room of the
    Albuquerque Garden Center
    10120 Lomas NE
    Located in Los Altos Park, between Eubank and Wyoming

Drought-tolerant plants
    Native plants, unique and unusual plants
    Books and landscaping tips
    Professionals available to answer your questions

Sponsored by the Native Plant Society of New Mexico

• abq_bob
    18 years ago

I went to that plant sale today - ended up coming home with a couple hardy fuchsias and a penstemon. Glad I got there right at 9AM stuff sold quickly! Hope some of y'all made it and found something new for your garden :D

It was a great day for planting too with that rain last night and nice cool day today to get things in the ground.

--Bob

• lindseylu
    18 years ago

I also went to the Garden Fair and Plant Sale in Albuquerque on Saturday... and came home with enough heirloom tomato plants to sink a battleship ;) I love growing tomatoes but this is ridiculous! I may have to open my own roadside produce stand in my front yard! (I'll give all you Southwestern forum members 50% off of tomatoes ;)

Lindsey :)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida