Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tugbrethil

LA lilies in the heat?

tugbrethil
14 years ago

Has anyone in a seriously hot climate (110+ summers) grown LA (Longiflorum x Asiatic) hybrid lilies? I have good luck with Asiatic hybrids here, but I'm uncertain if the LA's will bloom soon enough to keep from cooking. The growers can't tell me anything except "They do fine in San Diego." which doesn't help me here! Any info would be welcome. : )

Comments (4)

• stompoutbermuda
    14 years ago

I really dont know. I bought some Asiatic Lilies today so I am hoping they will be okay..... My mom has some Easter Lilies planted in a shady spot that only recieves a few hours of reflected sun a day and her lilies do very well if that helps.... And yes, it gets hot hot hot here (near Death Valley), but it begins in June usually

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, stomp! Your mom's experience gives me more hope!
    From what I do know, the Asiatic lilies should do even better in your yard than in mine--their ancestors come from a climate very similar to the east side of the Sierra Nevada.
    I'd still like a few pointers as to where to plant--more shade like Easter lilies, or more sun like Asiatics--and when I can expect bloom. Any takers? : )

• stompoutbermuda
    14 years ago

LOL! I went back and looked at the package of bulbs I bought and no they are not asiatic they are oriental lilies. So they bloom in the summer and like cooler weather. After a bunch of research and thought on this, I may try some different places with the bulbs. I have a very sheltered area that is on the north side of my home with a roof and although it does recieve a couple of hours of summer sun from the west (which could easily be blocked), it is one of the coolest places on this property with one of the most wind protected potential gardening areas - this would be okay to try in the ground. I also have a west patio that is covered, with lattice walls surounding it and a small planting bed in the concrete flooring which I could try planting a few bulbs in, as well as a few in pots on this area. Then on the east side I have a covered area that gets no wind and no direct sun in the summer where I could try a few bulbs in pots. Out in the garden on the SE side I am thinking about maybe making a trench and planting some in pots to bury in the trench..... they would have mostly just morning sun and dappled shade during late morning in the summer (it is also the most reliable place for them to get consitant water in the summer as I have this area on timed sprinklers).

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My down-the-street neighbor had Orientals for several years on the north side of his house, towards the east end. They got several hours of sun in the early morning, shade from 10:30 on, and seemed to be fairly happy--until 1990, when it got up to 122 deg.! You may have it a little easier, stomp, at least your nights are cooler. All of those areas sound like good spots for the lilies that I know, except the west patio sounds like it may be a little dark. Good Luck! : ])

Sponsored