Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wild_rose_gw

When Do You Know It's Spring?

wild_rose
18 years ago

Landrover wrote in another thread that he was seeing Crocus. I assume he means the leaves and not yet flowers. When I was out yesterday, I noticed Daffodils poking their noses out of the ground and started pulling up Chickweed and Henbit seedlings. It's still Winter, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Most non-gardeners around here don't realize how short our winters actually are and don't acknowledge the arrival of Spring until they start seeing Dogwood trees and Azaleas in bloom. We gardeners recognize the signs way before then. In catalogs bulbs are separated into groups that flower in early, mid, and late spring, so when I see the first Crocus or early Daffodil, I say, "Spring is Here!" even if there is snow on the ground.

What signals Spring for you?

Comments (31)

• anntn6b
    18 years ago

The overwhelming urge to plant something.
    So we've been transplanting roses.
    I've been putting together seed orders and starting stuff for DH's garden railroad.
    Thank heavens we don't get the death of all above snow plant life, just fluffier coats on the cats.

• maternut
    18 years ago

Spring is here when I can set out my tomato plants. Will
    start planting the seed the end of Feb. Eight to ten weeks
    later spring will be here I hope.
    Norm

• decolady01
    18 years ago

The species jonquils I got from my great-grandmother's house already have their leaves all the way up and some of the other daffodils are showing green. The bud tips of our peach trees are beginning to swell some. Although it's been unseasonably warm (see the Ruling Days thread) I am not considering it to be spring yet.

Our last frost date is considered 17 April and that is when I normally put out my tomatoes. But spring comes before that. To me spring begins in March - the first week or so.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

One shouldn't rely on plant signs for the onset of spring. Plants are notoriously fickle and unpredictable. Birds give a much better notification! I observe for signs of 'dating', mating, billing and cooing.

• decolady01
    18 years ago

We had a lot of robins this morning acting like they thought it was spring. I'm not buying it, though. :-)

• Jan_Hobbs
    18 years ago

When I hear the peepers I know spring is right around the corner.

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

I agree Virginia, winter really is not long around here.

When I see the Hellebore blooms, I feel that spring is around the corner. I noticed them starting to pop up yesterday.

Rebecca

• tortoisekeeper
    18 years ago

Canahavanna,

Do you have any spare hellebore for trade or postage. I don't have any plants but I do have lots of seeds. Please let me know.

Thanks
    Betty

• vjeanes
    18 years ago

I've got new, fresh green leaves on Hellebores too, but no sign yet of any flowers. Mine flowered the past two years in February - still a few weeks from now. We got a few snow flurries the other morning, but really, it hasn't felt much like winter yet. This may go on record as one of our mildest winters if something doesn't happen soon. We could use some rain, and I'd even welcome snow - just water falling from the sky - but, no sleet or freezing rain, thank you.

When I was out yesterday I noticed the flower buds swelling on Flowering Quince, one of my earliest spring-flowering shrubs.

Birds are chirping like, well, birds, but I've seen no signs of nest-building or other bird flirting yet. Spring's not quite here yet, but it won't be too long before it's here.

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Betty, I may have some seedlings come spring. We had one flowering sized hellebore until this past summer when we added more, so they are too young to divide this year.

Rebecca

• vjeanes
    18 years ago

From what I've read about Hellebores, they resent being moved or divided. I've never killed one by doing that, but it's something to think about. I've had good success, though, transplanting young seedlings. You might want to check out the Hellebore Forum for more growing tips.

As for growing from seed, I do know that they are best grown from fresh seed and if you have any that is dry, they need to be soaked before planting. They also require double stratification - first several weeks of warm temps followed by a cold period as if they'd been planted in the spring and gone through summer to germinate in late winter. You won't have any luck WinterSowing these unless they get that moist heat treatment first and even then, they might not germinate until next year if at all.

• brimmsplace
    18 years ago

Usually spring arrives about 3 weeks after the Red Wing Blackbirds arrive. They always make a good time table.

Billy

• pat_knox_tn
    18 years ago

A little thing I wrote about Spring might be indicative of full and true spring.

Spring 1998

Has the sight of spring
    impressed you enough
    that you can describe the colours,
    even after nightfall?

Can you recall, at will,
    the aroma of the earth?
    Barren for so long, now, at last,
    shouting it's wealth
    with heady fragrances.

The musky rich loam of the deep woods
    following spring rains
    is so intoxicating to me,
    I must remember not to hold
    my breath.

April has coloured the hills
    in the softest of greens.
    Trilliums abound in the woodland,
    May Apples and Jack-in-the-pulpits,
    delights discovered in childhood,
    increase my pleasure yearly.

Bluets, a wildflower so delicate
    you fear for their safety
    compliment the sweet violets.
    Carpets of wildflowers,
    surrounded by moss
    touch chords of delight
    in my winter weary heart.

The redbuds ablaze with their flowers
    so brilliant, so vibrant, so new.
    The dogwoods so splendid that
    they teach me humility.
    Daily, the progression of greenery
    brings new marvels,
    as I dawdle about;
    in love with the tiny buds
    bursting now to full bloom.
    Enthralled by the greenery
    as it creeps ever nearer these rooms.

After the starkness of winter
    it is so startling
    to walk into a window filled room,
    become awed by the beauty encroaching.
    The wide expansive views of winter,
    begin to disappear.
    The stark view of the mountains,
    and the accordian pleats of the foothills
    dull brown for so long now,
    with barren limbs & felled trees,
    becoming again an enchanted forest.

The wildland creatures cavort and chatter,
    birds sing gaily welcoming the warmth
    and proclaiming their territory, as
    they whistle for mates.

The spring below us is bubbling quite madly,
    you can hear it's triumphant sound as it
    washes glady down small waterfalls,
    racing ultimately to the sea.
    The breezy ferns and delicate flowers
    have come alert at its passing
    and cling tenaciously to it's banks.
    It is a great reassurance
    a yearly phenomena
    heightening our senses
    as it unfold it's poignant drama.
    AH, spring.....you can never arrive
    too early or linger too long to suit me.

jus ;-)

Pat aka plsgrow

Here is a link that might be useful: Poems of Nature

• vjeanes
    18 years ago

That's wonderful and I loved reading the other poems written by recognizable names. You shouldn't be anonymous.

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

I'm with Jan, when I start to hear the peepers.

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Oh, another thing that signals spring for me. Mel calls me up to go hit the nurseries! Where are ya Mel?

Rebecca

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

She is hiding Rebecca, and you two better call me up for one of those trips, I missed out all last spring lol

• wild_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I remember a trip to Wisconsin a couple of Februarys ago. It was in the low 30's and the natives were thrilled because it had warmed up. They were out and about in sweaters and looking forward to spring. Honestly, it didn't feel that cold - nothing like temps in the 30's feel here. Of course it snowed the next night and I got a taste of Wisconsin winter the next day. The trees looked like a Currier and Ives print - just beautiful - but I was happy to be heading back South!

I shivered in church this morning and used my jacket sleeves as a muffler. I keept telling my hands and feet "it's not really that cold", but they they weren't paying attention. Ma Nature is, though. My Hellebores have flower buds!

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

I have one lonely Hellabore ( because I have very little shade and it is crowded with Hostas and Heucheras). I have been waiting on it to bloom, can't wait to see it. It was COLD yesterday, but still waiting on a snow .

• intimidator_3
    18 years ago

When testing at Daytona starts! Yeah, I know testing starts two weeks into winter, but look at it this way, I never have a winter this way!

Doug

• katariina
    18 years ago

Hellebores are beautiful! (I did a search and found a huge selection of colors). They remind me of "Kangasvuokko" (lat. Pulstailla Vernalis), also a cold hardy and early announcer of spring in Finland, although Kangasvuokko is a wildflower, and not culitvated in gardens. See attached link if you want to see a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kangasvuokko Picture

• wild_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They are both beautiful plants. You see the resemblance because they are both members of the Ranunculus Family.

• Soeur
    18 years ago

Even though they're predicting some wet snow overnight, spring is officially on it's way: I heard the Spring Peepers in my pond tonight for the first time this year. The chorus frogs have been calling for a week -- they get started even before the peepers. I also saw the first blooming narcissus (probably N. pseudonarcissus, which has naturalized all over around here) on Feb 1. The cardinals are in full voice now, too. Ain't spring grand?

And speaking of hellebores, I've planted close to 2000 germinated seed of H. x hybridus (including doubles and cool colors), H. foetidus and H argutifolius in the last week. It's the beginnings of my nursery. :)

Marty

Marty

• ladybug1
    18 years ago

My hellebores have gone wild! I have blooms all over them. Forsythia is blooming across the road and daffodils have buds on them. Well, at least they do now, but I am afraid everything is going to get frozen in the next couple weeks.

• wild_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Talking about spring... I just got back from Houston. Zone 9a is much ahead of us. DH surprised me with tickets and I wasn't about to say "no" even though I wish he'd delayed about a month so I could have seen one of those "Bluebonnet Springs" that are so awesome.

Back at home where it feld downright cold in comparison, early Daffodils and Hellebores are flowering, but I'd not call it "full bloom" yet. The Flowering Quince is. My Forsythias haven't started yet.

Marty, if you heard peepers, then according to Jan, spring must be just around the corner. All the other signs are saying the same thing.

Since I'm one of those "glass half-full" kind of people, I'd call this early spring, not late winter.

• katiedidcottage
    18 years ago

Daffodils have always been the signal for spring to me, but they were blooming last week here ... h-m-m-m-m, and now its colder than ever this week.

I certainly enjoyed the poetry!

The flowering shrubs have been blooming on Quince Avenue for a couple of weeks in Memphis -- could they be flowering Quince? Just wondered if any one knew. They have small white blooms all over them and I thought someone might have planted flowering Quince on Quince Avenue.

I have seen some Forsythia blooming in my area also, but mine are still dormant.

A little Robin has been hiding in my evergreens and all the red berries are disappearing off my 3 hollies ... so cute! I didn't even know they were edible.

All the seed displays are going up in the big stores and its hard to resist, but I will resist this year because last year we did it all too early, but it is exciting!

Hey, there are some pretty garden themed screen savers free on guideposts' website.

Katie

• big_orange_vol_
    18 years ago

I know it's Spring when I'm buying stuff for the SECOND time because everything I put out early (being over anxious) convincing myself that it was already Spring and plenty warm to plant, has totally burnt up and died back in the last three frosts.

• kingjohn
    18 years ago

THE BIRDS ARE STEALING INSULATION FROM MY ATTIC AND BUILTING A NEST UP THEIR TOO!!! DRIVES MY CATS WILD

• sissyz
    18 years ago

Virginia,
    Just thought I would add something from Northern Illinois!!
    Driving by Northern Illinois University today, I saw some daffodils up with the color showing in the buds, not open yet.

The kids are on spring break here, Nick is "managing" the varsity softball team. They had their first game on Thursday, and they played thru a blinding, stinging snow squall!! The parents were watching from the sidelines, wrapped in sleeping bags!!!
    Happy Spring from SissyZ!!!

• wild_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Even non-gardeners couldn't be fooled. Mid-to-late season daffodils are finishing up. Dogwoods and Azaleas are in full bloom, and the Pecans are beginning to show green. They're always the last to leaf out. It's spring here and will be in Northern Illinois too before you know it.

• big_orange_vol_
    18 years ago

Hey Sissy!!! We miss you but it sure is good to see ya back. You need to come to the Swap on May 20th!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting