Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandsquid

12-APR-2008 Memphis Swap

sandsquid
16 years ago

Just left the U.M.M. meeting and we are a GO!

12 APR 2008 as a primary date

19 APR 2008 as a "postponement due to inclement weather" date

Good Shepard United Methodist Church

6050 Summer Ave. Memphis, TN

We will be sharing the day with the annual crafts-fair.

The gardeners will have the outside spaces, craft-persons will have inside the gymnasium.

There _may_ be a nominal "suggested donation" of $5 for "traders" to reserve an parking-space for parking/displaying, same as for the crafters, who will have a "suggested donation" for a reserved table, inside, but not a reserved parking-space.

Other details w/ the church are still being worked out.

Comments (48)

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

Lets rock! I am up for the swap!

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a few Elderberry cuttings and fig cuttings rooting in pots right now.

Hopefully, I'll have some blueberry cuttings as well, if I can get out and prune before they break buds.

• leighmac
    16 years ago

Yay Sandsquid! I have it on my calendar now. I do not know if I will have anything to swap. My husband rescued a pit bull puppy two months ago and I have a very bare back garden now. I will be lucky if anything comes back! Who knew a dog would eat plants to the ground after laying all over them? Ah, well, new opportunities, yes? If I don't have stuff, I am still more than glad to help out. Thanks again for your action. Please begin emailing me directly as the planning progresses. I will be more likely to respond in a timely manner. Leigh

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

We gonna do, yard, house, and water plants?
    I have weeping willows rooting, plus tons of seeds ready to go. By then my pond plants will be up again. TeeHee, will also have bulbs and wind chimes that I have been doing.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If it grows, bring it!

Especially if it bears edible fruit.
    Doubly so if it bears fruit suitable for wine-making ;-)

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

This sounds interesting, what are the guidelines for swapping. (I have never been to a plant swap before) Is this an open event? I have never posted in the Tennessee forum before.

Thanks,
    Mary

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

Mary most swaps have similar guidelines and for an example you can go to our website at http://www.midtnplantswap.com/ and click on the "what to bring" link. If you have any questions about The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap then you can contact me at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net anytime and I'll be more than happy to help.

• bluebetty
    16 years ago

Nothing to swap but I'd love to just come and look around

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

Betty, I have just started checking this forum. I am planning on going don't know what I will have but I am sure I can find you a plant or two. What kinds of plants do you like?

Mary

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

Is everyone getting their seeds started and cuttings going for the swap? It will be on us in no time at all.

Do let us know more about what you are looking for.

• MemphisLilli
    16 years ago

This sounds like fun. Thanks Atokadawn for letting me know. I should have water plants to swap, but don't know if I'll have anything else so I need to get busy.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm getting ready!

Picture of progress here:
    http://www.photodump.com/SandSquid/DSC07142.html

Lots of FIG cutitngs,

For grape-vine I have:
    Chancellor
    Cayuga
    Foch
    Reliance
    Should also have some Cabernet Franc cuttings in a week or two, and hopefully some Cynthiana(Norton) as well.

For Elderberry:
    York
    Nova
    Johns
    Adams
    Wyldewood #1

Perhaps even some Brandy-Wine Purple and Dorman Red and Fall Gold Raspberry cuttings, have to see if they root.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of cuttings for plant swap

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are now SET IN STONE...

Cost of admission: A smile!

12 APRIL 2007....................(primary date)
    19 APRIL 2007.............(inclement weather resched)

Good Shepherd United Methodist Church
    6050 Summer Ave, Memphis TN
    Between Sycamore View and Ral-Lagrange
    Across from Shelby Oaks Elementary School

Set-Up 0700 to 0900
    Swap/Sale 0900 to 1500

Indoor restrooms, coffee, iced-tea, lemonade, water, popcorn available.

Sometime during the day I'd like to enlist the aid of willing folks in helping "beautify" the grounds. We will be cleaning/weeding the flower beds, planting some flowers, etc. If you have them, please bring any basic gardening tools. If anybody has a wheel-barrow or garden cart, and the means to transport them, they would be most helpful. If anybody wishes to donate any suitable plants or trees to the cause, they will not be denied.

If the soil conditions permit (e.g. not too soggy) I'd like to rent a tiller and get the new Community Garden started that day. I will be personally donating some Elderberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Blueberry, Fig cuttings, a Pomegranate, and Cherry tree to that cause. If anybody wishes to donate any suitable plants or trees to the cause they will not be denied. I will be taking a roll/roster of all volunteers, and having a commemorative plaque made and installed. In the fall I would like to have a public get-together or two to can/preserve all we can and offer the results to volunteers to take home, as well as provide yummies during our fall harvest festival (aka Halloween Party.)

I can be reached at (901)283-5890 (Cell) for more details or to discuss.

• judydean
    16 years ago

I will have some named irises and daylilies. Would love to swap for hydrangeas. . . . .

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

I will be bringing alittle of alot of things. Will have to see how seedlings do to list them.Along with bulbs and other plants. Plus will have rooted cuttings of house plants and some water plants.
    I am sure there will be lots to trade and share.
    For us not military, that 1500 is 3:00.lol

Add my # to the list: 901-840-4162= Lani

• leighmac
    16 years ago

I will call you, Sandsquid and Lani, next week to touch base. I may have a few named daylilies, rudbeckia, and old fashioned sedums to swap. I am in need of coneflowers! I had the tennessee natives, razzmatazz and white swan but my beautiful new dog killed them by laying on them. I cannot see any growth at all. Dagnabbit! To all those who might see this thread, I appreciate any help I can get and thanks!

• bluebetty
    16 years ago

Thanks Mae mae...that's so sweet of you....but I'm just looking to meet some veteran gardeners and new friends. I'm starting a ton of seeds with my toddler and hoping to get some good advice since we aren't from Memphis originally....can't wait to meet everyone.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

I am sooooo excited! I have boxes of containers of all kinds on every flat spot in my house filled with all kinds of seeds. If it grows, I think I have planted it. Plus have been working on making up seed packs also. I am so ready for this to happen.

How are you doing?

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

I would love to come! May have some Plumeria and Jatropha Multifida. And indoor plants. What I am seeing here though is mostly outdoor plants? What are the guidelines for the plants to bring? Are you using the token chips for trading? I saw that post but didn't follow or understand it at all. Could you expound on how the swap will work?
    Wanted to help, but moving to Texas in June (may have lots of house plants I can't take with me available). Too much on my plate.
    Lori

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't worry about the chips just trying tt be a bit organized. I's just goign to be a free for all.

Bring what you have extra / want to get rid of, there will be plenty of other stuff to bring home.

Sorry to hear you are moving before we even got to meet you, that's life in the military... every 2-3 years you move. At least the benefits are good, as is the retirement plan.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention, it doesn't matter what you have htere will be someone interested in it.

We personally don't "do" indoor plants because we kill them, even ferns. And I like to eat what I grow... Ohh, and make wine from it !-)

I'm afraid of the water plants that are going to be there... My wife has been hinting about the pond/fountain she wants in the back yard.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

ALL plants are welcome! I love houseplants and will take anything you need a home for. I will be bringing ALOT of house plants myself as I just repotted all mine and am over flowing with youngins.

Lori, I will make sure to bring tons of SEEDS for you to take to your new home. I remember the moving thing in the Navy.*sigh*
    Now Sand- water plants are sooooooooooooooo fun to play with.They will even look pretty in a bucket of water. As far as wine making things, you want my dandalions too? HeeHeeHee...

You will need to bring a table, or something to set your plants on. A cooler or a way to keep a drink cold(unless you are going to buy there.) A chair or something to sit on. And lots of time to chat and have fun. I am bringing alot of plastic bags for carrying home goodies if you need them. You might want to bring a box or two if you are going to take houseplants or other containers in the trunk.

Everyone coming will be able to go home with something.

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

I know that I will be bringing a few houseplants as well. I will also have one or two small/med sized Miss Huff lantana and a few brugs. I have started some datura and I will just have to see how those do, I seem to have a brown thumb when it comes to seeds. I am having a good bit of work done in my house this week so I really dont want to start anything else until that is completed.

Mary

• sjackwheat
    16 years ago

Hi Lani, Thanks for sending me the email about this....I am hoping to join the fun as well. You know, as you have seen, I have many odds and ends that I can bring. I have Iris rhizomes,Canna rhizomes,Old fashioned Daffodil bulbs, Orange common daylilys,Star of Bethlehem,Callisia Fragrans, Sanseverias,Syngoniums,Cactus,and many others. Plus lots of seeds packets too.I plan on putting in for a vacation during that week so if all goes well, I should be there! You can add my number to your lists also. 901-299-6818 after 5:00pm I would like to have an update as well on how it is going with everyone. Keep me posted.........Jackie

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

I just ran over and got this off the MTPS site. It is a great guideline as to things to bring.

WHAT TO BRING

Here are a few suggestions on what to bring:

PLANTS!
    - Plants rooted and potted in paper cups, pots, tin cans or any type container. They can also be wrapped in paper or plastic. Every size plant is acceptable, from seedlings to monster mature plants, bulbs, rhizomes, seeds, bushes, shrubs, trees, vegetables, perennials, annuals, herbs, vines, succulents, water plants and houseplants. If youÂve got it, bring it! REMEMBER TO LABEL YOUR PLANTS.

NON-PLANT ITEMS
    - Flower pots, baskets, arts and crafts, homemade jelly, jam, preserves, canned food, gourds, birdhouses, butterfly houses, books, garden magazines, garden tools, garden art, fertilizer and anything that you can come up with that is garden related.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sun-screen, don't forget the sun-screen and bug spray!

As far as dandelions go... If'n anybody feel like collecting them I'll be happy to split a batch of "Dandelion Marinade - 12%ABV" with them. (I cannot sell or barter wine but I can marinade ;-) I'd LIKE to try and shoot for at least 5 gallons this May.

Picking Dandelions is a great family fun day in the park! It is a lot of boring work separating the yellow petals, _-ONLY-_ THE YELLOW PETALS ARE SUITABLE, from the blossoms.

Just sit down with a couple of plastic ice cream pails and watch TV while you and your family are working on it and after 4 or 5 nights of work you should have enough for a good sized batch.

I need c.a. 12oz (by weight) of petals ONLY per gallon of finished marinade, of which you may have (2) 750ml bottles... (3, if you supply me the empty bottles ;-)

I pinch the base of the flower between my thumb and forefinger and twist - causing the pedals to just fall off. It works great but it gave me a wicked blister last time and stained my fingers yellow for a week.

Or you can cut the yellow petals with a scissor.

But either way pick them when they are totally open.

I pick some each day, harvest the petals, and put them in zip-lock bags in the freezer until I have enough to start a batch.. Usually sometime around May-June.

I might also be convinced to bring a few samples of my sweet elderberry, blueberry, cranberry, and blue/cran blend marinades with me.

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

My husband isn't military anymore. This move is just because I need to be somewhere tropical! (Corpus Christi, TX is "home").
    Looking forward to the swap! Thanks to all who have organized it...Sandsquid, AtokaDawn!
    We should wear name tags or something indicating we are Garden Webbers...so we can meet in person!
    Lori

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>We should wear name tags or something indicating we
    >are Garden Webbers...so we can meet in person!

I don't think we'll have much problem spotting each other.
    I'm hoping for a good turn-out, but it may just be "us".

I'm trying to get some Public Service adds on the local radio stations and Commercial Appeal.

If anybody wants to do lunch there, you can go to Kroger and get some frozen pizza and sandwich stuff, etc. I have access to a full commercial grade kitchen, but we can't "sell" any food due to not having a food vendor license. But if we bring our own and prepare it there, that is cool.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

How about a potluck lunch?
    Sand, be careful of the ads. We do not want just anyone popping in without knowing what to bring and then run out of plants for all us on here that are working so hard to prepare.
    PLEASE skip the Appeal!

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>How about a potluck lunch?

we can certainly do that... plenty of kitchen space and tables to eat at.

>We do not want just anyone popping in without knowing what to
    >bring and then run out of plants for all us on here that are
    >working so hard to prepare.

Aye, aye.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

"In that statement I was refering to the ads he was going to post. Anyone from here is welcome with/without plants or things to swap."

For the potluck lunch, bring enough for your group plus 2 people. That way we will have more than enough to share. Please bring a cooler to keep the food either hot/cold as needed.
    I will supply some plates and napkins. Someone want to bring trash bags?

Something with a name would be neat so we know who you are without having to ask all day. Shall I see about them?

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

I can bring some trash bags someone please just make a list and send me a reminder right before, I am getting forgetful. I realized the other day I call all my patients sweetie to compensate for not remembering names,(so I think name tags would be a good idea also) thankfully most of them are older people that don't mind. I can't wait for the swap it will be nice to meet some local gardening folks.

Mary

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

atokadawn say's:
    >Please bring a cooler to keep the food either hot/cold as needed.

we have an entire "home sized" refrigerator completely empty (right now) so we have tons of cold space.

Also have a commercial 6-burner stove and convection oven.

If you need a crock-pot bring it, we can plug it in. If it can be held or re-heated in an oven just bring it in/on an oven-safe vessel.

I'll have a 5 gallon jug of sweet tea, unsweetened tea and lemonade.

If you want to drink anything else, bring it.

We also have a big "movie theater" style pop-corn machine. and about 5 gallons of un-popped kernels...I just need to pick up more oil for it.

If folks are interested, I'll whip up some pancakes and or biscuits for breakfast if anybody has any home-made jam or preserves to put on them.... Just wish I could find my crepe pan.

• bluebetty
    16 years ago

I'm working on starting seeds right now...some are sprouting and doing well...hope I have something to bring. either way i can't wait to meet Ya'll....I'll be the one with the 3 yr old

• mstagjd120
    16 years ago

I have various tomato, pepper & flower seedlings that I plan to bring. I also have some pickerelweed water plants if anyone is interested in those.

I will bring something for a potluck, though I'm not sure yet what.

I am looking forward to meeting fellow Memphis gardeners!

Thanks! -Jennifer (634-6070)

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

WooooooooooHooooooooo, looks like we have a swap starting to go!

I have every flat spot in the kitchen, bath, and several other rooms full of plant trays of seeds.(hubby afraid to sit in one spot for to long) I have cuttings of things in other containers ready to go. And I have not even gone outside to pull bulbs, rizomes, water plants,etc.

This sounds like we are gonna have a great day!

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

We fell off to the second page. I thought I would bring it back.

• leighmac
    16 years ago

My goodness it sounds like we're gonna have a party! I can't wait! I've made up a flyer to distribute. If you would like a copy, please email me. leighmac@bellsouth.net
    I will certainly bring a crock pot of something. I have yet to dig anything up or to pot, but I will only have a few things. Found some iris rhizomes I had pulled out of a bed sometime last Feb/Mar and forgot.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

What color?

I will be bringing what we call weinie bites. Plus the plates and napkins. And blank name tags.

• judydean
    16 years ago

I had planned to be there, but have to go out of town. I have plenty of coneflowers for leighmac. If someone is willing to take them to the swap, I'll be glad to deliver to anyone's house that's going to the swap. See all of you next year!! Judy

• tndandelion
    16 years ago

I am going to try to be there. I've done a lot of winter sowing and I currently have seedlings ready to go into the ground once it dries up! I could probably throw a hunk of stuff into some cups for trade!! lol

Thanks AtokaDawn for the headsup!

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

I think this is going great! Looks like we will have a good turn out!

• carolyn_w
    16 years ago

Just from reading how excited everyone is and all the work you all are doing for it... it sounds like lots of fun!

I'm a newbie to gardening and to Memphis. I don't have anything to trade, but I would love to come and soak up all your gardening wisdom! Hopefully my husband will have the day off to stay home with the girls, and I can just enjoy a relaxing morning.

It was mentioned about helping out with the grounds? Is there a certain time that will be happening?

Thanks atokadawn for the personal invite via email! I hope to meet everyone then.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is not going to be a forced labor camp though, just sticking some plants in the dirt and maybe raking some leaves and debris. "Yard work" is likely to consist of picking up some dead branches that fell... I'm trying to dig up a tiller to get some planting beds and rows of stuff in the ground. I have grand plans but I'm limited by the lack of a tiller.

We have about a 1 acre parcel along Summer Ave that I'd like to get some fig tress at least along the frontage and elderberry and black currant bushes installed lining the culvert..

Sadly my elder cuttings are doing very poorly right now. Went to FL for a week and moved all my cuttings outside.

Grapevines are pushing buds and figs are rooting but the once fabulous elderberries are looking pretty bad, may even loose them ;-(

Here is a link that might be useful: Map of grounds and planned plantings

• leighmac
    16 years ago

AtokaDawn,
    The irises I have should be the old fashioned bearded purple.JudyDean, I would LOVE to get those Coneflowers. Thank you! Please email me and maybe I can pick them up from you. I also have a few sedums, again, very old type. My mother-in-law calls them house leeks. Of course, rudbeckia and a few wild columbine.

• mercurybutterfly
    16 years ago

Hi, is it too late to RSVP for this swap in Memphis?

I just moved into our mid-town house in Feb and am trying to set down some human roots at the same time I want to get spring plant roots going outdoors! I've lived in Memphis 5 years but this is the first year I will be able to plant anything - very excited!

I could really use some advice and ideas and learning from all of you veterans. I've marked the location and date on my calendar and will bring what tiny specimens I have or can find... old old yard, neglected but some potential candidates for swap... some stuff I'm not even sure what it is, I'm such a newbie.

-jules

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No RSVP necessary.

Report to the appointed time & place.

• kelli01
    16 years ago

That was awesome guys! Thanks. I had to call my mom in AL to tell her all about it and get her to look out for swaps in her area. Thanks for the plants, I took home. I hope you enjoy the ones I brought.

Sponsored