Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atokadawn

Helllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooo?

atokadawn
13 years ago

Where are all the gardeners? It is the dead and I do mean dead of winter. This forum should be hopping as we are all stuck inside right now.

Lets hear what you are up to. What catalogs are you getting? What are you planning to order? What NEW plans do you have for the spring?

Someone? Anyone?

Comments (9)

• drnuke
    13 years ago

I'm just removed some badly planned trees that the previous owner planted on my property and will be replacing them with either some crabapple or dogwoods. On the other side of my house I am still trying to decide on a shade tree with a 40' max spread.

In my back yard I had to remove some old Bradford Pear trees that had split and will have to make a hedge along my back fence in the mean time. I'm still trying to think of what to do about that. I'm thinking of mixing in some Holly, Laurels, and maybe a couple of small trees.

On the side of my house I'm trying to start a garden. I have a 15' by 40' space to work with. I don't know if I want to put my first edible garden on my property there or if I will just put in some Oak Leaf Hydrangeas mixed with some other plants that spark my interest.

Lastly, I'm thinking of getting a trellis and planting some jasmine. So ... yeah, you can say that I'll be pretty busy.

• drnuke
    13 years ago

Also, I would like to pose a question. What tree would you suggests for a shade tree out of these 3:

Blackgum
    Red Maple
    Northern Catalpa

• Dave Townsend
    13 years ago

My vote is the red maple - great fall color and if shade is what you are looking for they can definitely supply!

• palmetto_gardener
    13 years ago

I need a lot of plants so I'm wintersowing for the very first time. Country Carolyn sent me seeds from generous gardeners on the wintersow forum.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    13 years ago

Only got Baker Creek catalog. Ordered a bunch from them & some stuff from IGC. Well into seed starting now, with tomatoes, herbs, etc. done & only peppers to go. :)

- Steve

• krikit
    13 years ago

Dr.Nuke - I don't have the knowledge of trees that some folks here on the GW do, but of the 3 you have listed - I have all 3 in my yard and my preference would be the Black Gum #1, Catalpa #2, and the Maple #3 - but wouldn't want to be without any of them. I have a very old Catalpa in my yard, and some younger ones in the field joining my yard - was fortunate to locate a seedling that I'm going to relocate to my yard since the old tree is starting to decline. Plus, I'm hoping to order another Black Gum since I can't seem to find them locally. I have one I bought at Kmart about 4 years ago and I REALLY like it. I'm still on the fence about planting the Wax Myrtle due to the hardiness issues discussed on the other post - but am strongly considering 'devilwood' Osmanthus Americana.

Probably won't be planting a veggie garden this year due to physical constraints, but am thankful for a neighbor who has a great garden! And, I'm trying to downsize my perennial beds and focus more on shrubs and trees as they seem to be easier for me physically.

Frances

• atokadawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One of the West Tn group is going to lead me thru winter sowing. I got out in the warm the other day and cleaned a little. It helped the body and soul. I have just one order in from a catalog. The rest of my plants will come from the spring swap :-)

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Well...my plans were to start seeds...and I did. And they didn't fair so well. So much for starting tomatoes early. Guess I will be buying those at the Food Bank garden sale again this spring. :(

I am really looking forward to the spring swaps for Middle TN and East TN - and I think I have some new recruits to bring from Chattanooga! Been talking up the gardening and finally found some gardening kindred spirits down here. :D

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    13 years ago

So, what are the masses of little yellow flowers that are blooming in ditches all over the Knoxville area? I'm driving too fast to get a good look at them.

Sponsored