Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiedazzle

Need Blueberry type recommendation

dixiedazzle
15 years ago

I'm outside Chattanooga & need recommendations on what types do good here in SE TN.

First, what type: Rabbiteye, northern highbush or southern highbush?

On the fruit forum Finch's was mentioned as a source & they havge several of each type.

Comments (10)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Rabbiteyes and some southern highbush do OK here. Northern highbush are pretty fussy when grown in Tennessee. I would advise against them unless you really want to try a certain variety. Rabbiteyes are the easiest to grow, but some SH may produce superior fruit.

Tifblue is the most commonly planted RE, and is an all around good choice. It is the one often used as a standard for comparison. Bluebelle, Brightblue, Climax, Garden Blue, and Southland are other popular RE varieties, so they should also be good choices. Most, if not all, RE varieties will do well in Tennessee.

Georgia Gem, Legacy, Misty, Oneal, Revellie, Sharpblue, and Southmoon (rated extremely high in many reviews) are popular SH varieties. I don't know which of these varieties perform well here. All of these listed should have good qualities if they grow well here.

I don't have any experience with SH varieties and very little with RE types. Basically, I don't know which varieties are best, but do know that the ones listed above are considered good choices by many growers.

Let us know what you end up choosing. I am planning to get some myself and would like to know what varieties do best here. I've been reading about them for a couple of months, but haven't found many sources that are both up to date and deal with varieties proven to perform well here. I've heard that there are some really good new SH varieties becoming available, but that's about the extent of what people tell me. No one seems to be really knowledgeable about which varieties to choose.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

One TN grower I talked to recently recommends Ozarkblue (a SH). He said that in his opinion, it was the best all around (taste, quality, ability to withstand our climate, etc) blueberry for TN. He also said Legacy, Sierra, and Star have performed very well for him and that there is one northern highbush that seems to do better than the others here. He said some commercial growers are growing Blueray (NH) with good results. Blueray is supposed to be able to take our hot summers much better than other NH varieties.

Again, the above info is just one guy's opinion, but he seems to be more familiar with many types of blueberries than anyone else I have found in Tennessee and seems to have quite a bit of experience.

• dixiedazzle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brandon,
    Have you checked Hartmann's? They have wholesale minimum of 100 plants & several blueberries you mentioned in reply to my post. Would you want to go in together & order to make up the 100 minimum? Since I'm in Birchwood (Chattanooga area), delivery wouldn't be a real problem.

I just did a dummy order to check on shipping & for 100 plants, $122, shipping was $24.07

Here is a link that might be useful: hartmann's

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Hey Dixie,
    I only plan on getting about 6 to 10 plants at most. Mom and dad have two blueberry bushes, and they produce all the blueberries they can eat and give away to friends. The only reason I want at least 6 plants is for variety. Are you planning to sell blueberries?

• dixiedazzle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't decided. I have 3 acres cleared that I really should do something with. I retire in 2 years & thought blueberries, blackberries & raspberries might be something to think about. If I bought the plants now, they should be bearing by then. I don't want 3 acres of berries, but was going to get different varieties to try & see how they did here. Thanks anyway. I am REALLY going to try to get to the swap this Spring.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

If you are thinking about doing even a small commercial operation, you should contact some existing blueberry farms and get their input. If I can remember, I'll send you information about at least one you could contact when I get home. If you don't hear from me in at least a day or two, shoot me an email and tell me that I forgot.

• dixiedazzle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks

• dixiedazzle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to try the following - I'm ordering 1 or 2 of each Everyone's taste preference & growing conditions are different & I'll just see what works best for me. (Just for personal use, decided I don't want to fool with commercial)

RASPBERRIES:
    Anne
    Dormanred
    Caroline

BLUEBERRIES:
    Summit
    Ozark Blue
    Tifblue
    Powderblue
    Premier

BLACKBERRIES
    Apache
    Ouachita
    Natchez
    Triple Crown

• loudbaby
    15 years ago

I'm near Nashville and purchased Priemer, PowderBlue and something else. I think they are rabbiteyes (?). Don't you have to have at least 2 varieties for them to pollinate? I really hope they do well. They were native to GA and I thought, perhaps, with a little TLC, they would do well in MT.

• dixiedazzle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes regarding pollination. I've got 2 Southern high bush (Summit & Ozark Blue) & the other 3 are rabbiteyes, so they should do OK. Good luck with yours.

The ones you listed are rabbiteyes.

Sponsored