Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhouser

Any gardening and greenhouse nuts........

greenhouser
17 years ago

Are there any gardening, houseplant or greenhouse nuts in the Smyrna TN area? I grow flowers and veggies plus am are very much into houseplants, mainly geraniums, orchids and cactus.

Comments (3)

• maternut
    17 years ago

Gardening and greenhouse nut, yes. Smyma Tn. area no.

• dvowell026
    16 years ago

Greenhouser so glad to see someone close who also grows veggies as well as flowers in my area (Old Hickory). I have a Rion Greenhouse 8 x 8. Long story had for three years just now getting fixed as greenhouse. Anyway,I have been growing vegetables and flowers for years, but no experience with greenhouse growing. I'm interested in getting it going for the fall as a season extender. I have just this year started experimenting with Mel's Mix in my outside plantings(small start), in addition I have a main garden 10' x 22' unbound raised bed (squash,bush beans,tomatoes, cowpeas, bell, pepper, carrots, onions, sunflowers, marigolds,) one supplemental 8 x 16.I also have 4 varying size bed raised beds with mainly cucumber,egg plant more squash, beens cucumbbers 7 sunflowers. Currently building boxes for fall plantings. Planning on growing most or all greenhouse items in boxes. Any advise on layout what works well here would be appreciated. Main interest season extending and seed starting. Cold greenhouse but have small indoor space suitable for starting seed.

• msbasselope
    16 years ago

Hi Greenhouser
    I am in the Shelbyville area, have my own 8 x 12 greenhouse, loves orchids, houseplants, my yard and my vegetables. Have had my master gardeners certificate since 2003, a B.S. degree in plant and soils science from MTSU since 83. I overwinted my house plants and geraniums in my greenhouse this past winter for the first time (got greenhouse last July). I started my tomato seeds in last of January and had my first ripe tomato in May.
    I wanted to put my orchids in the greenhouse and increase my collection but the weather is too extreme and my swamp cooler that runs off a well was stressing the water supply so I shut the greenhouse down for the summer.
    If I can answer any questions that you might have, I would be more than happy to help, however, I do not have cacti with the exception of Christmas and Sunrise Cactus.
    Cindy

Sponsored