Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura729

Peat Moss alternative?

laura729
15 years ago

I've been reading about organic gardening and using environmentally sound practices and am trying to make the best decisions I can based on what I learn.

One concern for me right now is about peat moss. I'm reading that it's non-renewable (takes about 1000 years to produce what one "brick" contains or something like that) and is taken from peat bogs, which support untold numbers of life forms (including some really cool plants!)

I've read a bit about coir dust, which comes from coconuts, but if it's anything like the coir mats that I have used, then I'm not convinced that coir dust is water-retentive like peat moss.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, any ideas, experience? It could be that I end up using the peat moss so that I can have thriving organic food and even feed others with it. I just want to have a lot of info in front of me in order to make a decision I can live with.

Thanks ahead of time to all!

Comments (9)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Yes, this can be a hugely debated topic, so be prepared. ;-)

I have done a lot of research on it myself. What I found is that you should buy Canadian peat. They very strictly monitor this so that it will always be replenished for the future.

Before making any decisions for yourself, please review the information in the link I've provided below.

~Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: Environmental Concerns & Facts about Peat Moss

• jbest123
    15 years ago

These tomatoes and zucchini are growing in 100% homemade compost as the rest of my garden is. There is a better description in my journal below.

John

{{gwi:103474}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• carolynp
    15 years ago

OK, Angela's right, this could lead to an argument because people have very strong feelings on the environment right now. I'm glad you bring it up because I'm thinking about it alot, as I'm making a bunch of earthboxes for friends for Christmas. Angela's link was awesome in giving information.
    There were two other considerations for me on this one. I am far closer to Canada than I am to HI, so I have to also consider the fuel it takes to bring this to me. I am not a greenie, but by nature I am conservative (errr...read cheap). The coconut substitute is sold nearby my home for around five times the cost of peat moss. My beds were all set up using peat moss, and SFG suggests that all I have to do yearly is add more compost. Clearly, I cannot use straight compost in containers, right?
    The peat is supposed to make your beds acidic, btw. The coconut will not. I guess, I'm saying that you may want to also consider that you are only going to do this once. As a standing asset, it doesn't seem so awful. If I start anymore beds next year, I will probably go with straight compost and let it age a bit.
    Sorry to be all over the place, but I just haven't landed on this one yet.

• laura729
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all for the responses. Much to think about! :)

John, gorgeous gardens. I'm all over the compost thing but it takes time and I want to start a fall garden soon. I have compost "cooking" but it isn't ready. Alas.

Carolyn, you make a good point about using the peat once. I'm like you...I haven't "landed" on this subject just yet. And the way you express your thought process is very much up my alley! :) Also, I see in another post that you're about to start vermiculture...me, too! (That's worm composting, right? I get my terms confused at times.) I'm excited about having a herd of wigglers! :) I should check out the composting forum. It's just that I've gotten somewhat attached to this one.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

LOL, my friends think I'm crazy already with the gardening (I'm actually thinking about using a sizeable chunk of the front yard, too), so what's a few worms? It'll make an awesome school project for the boys, too. The composting forum is nice for research. There is also a vermiculture forum, just fyi. I can't see me spending time there, as I do here, because this forum is also pretty friendly, too. LOL, I guess I'm with you on that one.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I'm definitely going with peat moss (Canadian) in my new beds this year, blended with purchased compost as I don't have my own yet. I'm in Eastern Washington, and our soil is slightly alkaline, so I notice a world of difference when I incorporate peat into the soil every few years.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• laura729
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny - I was wondering where you garden for the warmer months! I love your posts and your gardens. I would love to visit the PNW extensively...never been there. I used to live in San Francisco but I was in my 20s and couldn't afford anything but the $$$$ rent at the time.

South Carolina has interesting soil...just a stone's throw away, it's sandy, but I have red clay (not the deep red, but it's definitely clay!). We have a geological divide that basically cuts right through SC, and I live mid-state. So, I don't need acidity but I sure need drainage! I was thinking of not using any of the soil, but perhaps I'll do some composting that involves mixing the soil...I dunno. I'm sure I'll make mistakes that experienced gardeners could warned me about, but mistakes make lessons more memorable for me, and experimentation can bring about wonderful discoveries. Ya know? :)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Well, laura729, if you come to the PNW between the months of April and October, you have a place to stay! My side of the state is desert-like, but my particular area is irrigated with water from the Columbia River. Our soil is quite sandy, but with abundant water it grows just about anything. We have lovely fruit orchards, vinyards, potato fields, alfalfa, asparagus.....I mean the area where I live, LOL...all I have is a puny little garden!

It has been near or over 100F all week, but right now we are being blessed with a lovely thunderstorm and a good, cooling rain. It's supposed to cool down later in the week, so I'm looking forward to getting those new beds filled with peat & compost. I hope the neighbor's leaves fall from their sycamores before we head south, as I'd also like to dig in some chopped leaves and let everything just rest until spring.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• amykas
    9 years ago

My new Mandevilla plant calls for 2 parts peat moss.
    After reading articles about fragility of peat moss, don't want to use it.
    I do have some compost.
    Wha
    Recommendation online is 2parts peat moss, 1 part potting soil and 1 part builder's sand.
    What can I use in place of peat moss?
    Thanks,
    Amy

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio