Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misskimmie

Who is winter sowing?

misskimmie
16 years ago

Hi,

I already have lots of seed packages. In past years I've either started seeds indoors, planted in the ground or bought plants from nursery. I've been reading about winter sowing and lurked on the WS forum. This year I'm gonna try. What have you WS successfully, when do you start and where are you or what zone are you?

Thanks,

KIM

Comments (31)

• laurelin
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Kim,

I'm in zone 5 (borderline 4 some years) near Binghamton. This is my fourth year to winter sow. I've already got 30 milk jugs outside, and I'll probably be over 125 by the time I'm finished. I start mostly perennials early, although some tough annuals like snapdragons and alyssum get started early too. I don't do heat-lovers like zinnias and tomatoes until the end of March. I space everything out in between, mostly because I can't accumulate containers fast enough, lol. I've had the most success using gallon milk jugs, so that's all I use now.

What have I winter sown? Let's see, here's a partial list:

ANNUALS: alyssum, snapdragons, annual lobelia, annual salvia 'Victoria,' marigolds, zinnias, amaranth, borage, culinary sage, hollyhocks, cosmos, lavender, tomatoes, nicotiana, violas, nigella 'Miss Jeckyll Blue,' malva 'Zebrina'

PERENNIALS: dianthus, columbine, hosta, daylilies, white coneflowers, maltese cross, rose campion, alpine strawberries

This year I'm trying some trees (hickory, Kentucky coffee tree, two different redbuds, and aralia "Devil's walking stick"). I also have a Rose of Sharon shrub that self-sows like crazy, and would be easy to winter sow.

I hope this helps you get started! Winter sowing is easy, and it has saved me a LOT of money on plants over the past few years. Did you check out the newbie seed project on the WS forum? You can get started with some great seed that way.

Laurel

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I'm winter sowing too. It really is a great cheap way to start plants!
    I've done all kind of perennials and am doing at least 100 kinds this winter. I like to get them all done around this time. Then I slowly work through the annuals getting them all out by the end of March.
    A lot of people like Laurel prefer milk jugs. I prefer 2 liter pop bottles, but I'll use anything I can get my hands on : )
    Remy

• misskimmie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurel and Remy,
    Thanks for responding. Ok, I've got my courage up. I'm in Utica area and I don't think its to late here. I will start some today. I have had moderate success with sowing in those little peat pots on the windowsills - plants don't get very big and the harvest is late. (I don't have a heat source.) Do they get bigger this way ? Lord knows I spend way too much $$ on plants every spring.

thanks
    Kim

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Hi Kim,

My WS plants usually grow very well. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the size of the root systems when you go to plant them out. Most people plant out WS things while they're quite a bit smaller than store-bought 6-pack plants, but they establish quicker and grow to catch up within a couple weeks or so. Winter sowing saves quite a bit of money, too, since seeds are much cheaper than plants, and potting soil isn't expensive.

Laurel

• misskimmie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I'm now a winter sower. I planted 17 containers and will do more as soon as I get more seeds and containers. I did send a SASE for newbee seeds.
    I'm mostly using 1gal milk and 3 liter soda ( I have 4 children - 3 are teens and they all bring friends over). I'm hooked. I will let you know when they come out so you can join me in a happy dance.

thanks - kim

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Congrats Kim! Be careful now. After this spring, you will become addicted to it, lol. I've done 85 containers in the past 2 days.
    Remy

• penny1947
    16 years ago

I will be Wintersowing but just haven't started yet. I do have a windowsill full of rooted Cuphea, salvias, lantana, Hummingbird Bush, Abutilon, calliandra, etc. that I have been babying along all winter. I really do need to get started soon.
    Penny

• gee_oh_nyc
    16 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I wintersow in New York City... got 40 varieties in containers so far.
    I'm sure you have already found the wintersowing forum here and

www.wintersown.org

Great resources! Happy Gardening all.

Peace
    George

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersowers site

• amazingrace
    16 years ago

Laurel,

I too am near Binghamton. I am new to the whole gardening thing. Got the bug last year. Anyway, when you talk about winter sowing and putting your jugs outside (and this may be a dumb question, but don't you have to worry about the temperatures? I happened to buy a bunch of seeds yesterday, mostly vegetables, and am anxious to get them started, but wasn't sure the best way to go about it.

Thank You,

Amazingrace

• misskimmie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dear Amazing,
    I find the concept of "WINTER SOWING" to be amazing. You take some seeds, put them in contains that were made into "mini-greenhouses", put them outside in winter and God takes care of the rest (more or less). There are 2 main places that have good information on WS (winter sowing) one is the WINTERSOWING forum on Gardenweb ( please read the FAQ page too), the other is WINTERSOWN.ORG ( they have free seeds). Also, folks on gardenweb are most helpful in answering your questions. Not all seeds can be wintersowen, but most can. Read, Get your courage up and do it! I think you'll be hooked. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: WINTERSOWN.ORG

• amazingrace
    16 years ago

Thank you misskimmie. I did check out the wintersown.org site and learned quite a bit. It doesn't look quite as difficult as I thought it was. I was looking forward to starting plants in my bow window which means they would have been at the mercy of my dog trying to look around them. Now it looks like I have another alternative.

Maybe you can give me a little more guidance. I have already bought the peat pots and was going to start them in the window mentioned above. Do you think it would be okay to put the peat pots in a shallow aluminum pan and then encase them in clear garbage bags? I saw at wintersown that you can use ziploc bags on smaller containers. What do you think?

thanks

• mountainsong
    16 years ago

Hello all,
    I posted frequently on GardenWeb 3, 4, and 5 years ago, but not much in the past two years. A horse (unexpectedly) came into my life, and I've found it hard to ride and garden. Plan to work harder at it this year though, and I'm feeling a familiar itch to get working with seeds...

I've done some wintersowing in the past, and used both mik jugs and soda bottles. I've read the excellent info. on the WS Forum in the past, but have had problems with the roots of seedlings getting tangled. When I try to separate them, the tiny plants are usually damaged.

So if someone could get real detailed on this, I'd appreciate it. The info. suggests just sprinkling some seeds in, but it seems to have gone better for me when I attempt to evenly distribute the seeds. This takes more time, of course, but seems to mean I have less damage when transplanting. Also, do you folks tape the containers shut?

If anyone has pictures, they would be worth thousands of words!

I wasn't going to wintersow this year, but here I have a week's vacation, and y'all are wearing off on me!

Mountainsong, near Syracuse

• penny1947
    16 years ago

MountainSong,
    I try to sow with a lighter hand so I don't have as much of a problem with the seedling roots becoming too entangled. One thing that I do if I have a lots of seedlings in one container is to just dig out hunks of seedlings and plant them out. The strongest will survive and the weaker ones will fade away. Another thing I do with the larger seedlings is to tease them out of the container with a wooden shsh kabob skewer and then pot them up individually or plant them out if it is warm enough. At first it is hard to lose a few seedlings but if you have 20 or 30 seedlings of the same kind and you lose a few you will still have plenty to plant out.

Penny

• posie_grower
    16 years ago

Hi All
    This is my very first time doing the WS thing.. I think I might have used the wrong kind of bottles.. I used the 20oz water bottle. Filled 1/2 way and added the seeds. I did cut the bottle around and taped it and put labels on them.. I just think the bottles I used were to small. I live in the Southern tier finger lakes. I'm in between Elmira and Binghamton ny
    Should I just start over?? I love gardening and spend way to money on plants every year..

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

A trick for disentangling roots is to set the whole thing in a saucer of water, wash off the soil, and gently pull the mass apart. It works surprisingly well. Then you replant the bareroot seedlings.

• mulchy
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,
    A couple evenings ago my hubby and I had a couple couples over and we had a WS-ing party. We had a great time, they had never done it before and seemed to really enjoy it. They each did about ten gallon milk jugs. We had refreshments and chit chat... it was great!!!

• misskimmie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mulchy,
    Tell me more...did you supply the "dirt" ? ( I said dirt instead of soil because when I winter sowing I make a real MESS !) A WS party sounds like lots of fun, but I can picture spilled dirt all over the place. ;) Who supplies the containers and seeds?

Dear Amazing,
    I am such a newbie at winter sowing ( the kids use the word N00b) - I can't help you much. However, I would worry about 2 things with your suggested method - 1. Would the pots tip over ? 2. Would they have enough ventilation especially when it gets warmer. ?

Maybe you can post your question(s) to the winter sowing forum on garden web.

Good-luck,
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: winter sowing at GW

• penny1947
    16 years ago

posie grower, 20 oz. bottles will work just fine. I have used them with very good success. I also use the individual yogurt containers and 8 ounce disposable cups with a clear baggie over the top. You don't need to start over.

Penny

• mulchy
    16 years ago

Hi Kim,
    About our little get together--- I had the soil and some seeds. The guys got the containers ready, we used one gallon milk jugs, which we all saved. the girls each brought some seeds. I had collected several seeds in the fall. I put an old sheet over our kitchen table to collect soil. It was not real messy!! My kitchen is used to messy anyway!!! We sowed our seeds and when we were done I just rolled up the sheet and put out the refreshments and we visited!!! I just hope they have good luck, they seemed to be really enjoying the whole process. We used good seed starting soil, so hopefully it will be good!!

• deedee2
    16 years ago

I would like to try winter sowing. Do mice ever get in the containers and eat the seeds or plant roots? Last spring I started seeds under grow lights in my basement and the little rascals dined on some of the plant roots. (This happened even though I sent my cat down cellar.)

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    16 years ago

I've got an assortment of 17 containers on my back deck right now. Most are covered except for a few deep conainers I left uncovered to see how well that will work. I still have lots to do, but am doing it a little at a time because this is my first year WS and I'm collecting conatiners as I go along.

• misskimmie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Way to go disneynut ! I'm up to maybe 60 containers. It mad snowing tonight, I don't think I can find the "Pot Ghetto". But I'm excited that somewhere out there, little seeds are sleeping and will spout when the timing is right.

BTW, what are you winter sowing?

kim

• penny1947
    16 years ago

I have never had a problem with critters getting to my wintersown containers.

Penny

16 years ago

BTW, what does that stand for? Sorry for sounding stupid.

Melissa

• penny1947
    16 years ago

BTW = By The Way (there are no stupid questions).

Penny

16 years ago

Sorry this took so long. I got very sick on Sunday night and finally went to the doctors today to find out I have Strep throat. By the time I checked my mail box today, I had over 400 emails to sort through.

I am starting tons of stuff, most of it WS. Some stuff I won't put out until spring though. Most of my veggies I will start indoors.

here's my list:
    Tomatos
    Red Robin (dwarf) 55 days started indoors already
    Yellow Canary (dwarf) 55 days started indoors already
    Window Box Roma (large dwarf) 70 days started indoors already
    Silvery Fir tree (determinate) 58 days
    Italian Roma (determinate) 80 days
    Tomato Super Bush (determinate) 75 days
    Green Zebra (semi-indeterminate) 75 days
    Red Zebra (semi-indeterminate) 75 days
    Green Grape (semi-indeterminate) 60 days
    San Marzano (indeterminate) 80 days
    Speckled Roma (indeterminate) 85 days
    Uncle Charlie's Giant Italian Pear (indeterminate)unknown
    MariannaÂs Peace (indeterminate) 85 days
    Mrs. Maxwell Big Italian (indeterminate) 69 days
    SunsetÂs Red Horizon (indeterminate) 72 days
    Chocolate Stripes (indeterminate) 79 days
    Sun Gold (indeterminate) 57 days
    God Love (indeterminate) 75 days
    Isis Candy (indeterminate) 67 days

Peppers - sweet already sprouted
    Romanian Rainbow Sweet, 60 days
    Napoleon Sweet, 70-90 days
    Mini sweet bells (orange, yellow, chocolate), 90 days

Peppers - hot already sprouted
    Beaver Dam, mildly hot 80 days
    Rio Grande

Carrots
    Baby Little Fingers
    Nantes Coreless

Collard Greens
    Georgia Southern

Pea
    Oregon Giant
    Super Sugar Snap pea

Squash
    Butterstick hybrid
    Eel zucchini

Watermelon
    Sugar Baby

Strawberries
    Temptation hybrid, WS 2/19/08
    Alexandria hybrid, WS 2/19/08

Basil
    Genovese
    Cinnamon
    Thai
    Lemon
    Purple
    Sweet
    Lime
    Licorice
    Violetta

Various herbs:
    Lavender, Pink
    Lavender, Lady
    Chives fine leaf
    French Thyme
    Dill Dukat
    Oregano True Greek
    Marjoram sweet
    Parsley Italian Gigante

Mint Family
    Catnip WS 2/27/08
    Catnip, Lemon
    Lemon mint
    Apple mint
    PineApple mint
    Lemon Hummingbird mint, *annual
    Tutti Frutti, horse mint, annual

Flowers
    Perennial
    Primrose, Showy Evening WS 2/27/08
    Holllyhock, Summer Carnival WS 2/27/08
    Hollyhock, Golden Yellow WS 2/27/08
    Hollyhock, Queeny Purple WS 2/27/08
    Pincushion, Purple WS 2/26/08
    Pincushion, Mini purple WS 2/26/08
    Pincushion, dark red WS 2/26/08
    Pincushion, old fashioned pastels WS 2/26/08
    Viola, Odorata
    Viola, Penny Orchid
    BeeBalm, Panorama mix WS 2/26/08
    BeeBalm, Pink WS 2/26/08
    Delphinium, Fantasia mix WS 2/27/08
    Columbine, Harlequin mix WS 2/26/08
    Columbine, Blue Star WS 2/26/08
    Columbine, D. Purple WS 2/26/08
    Columbine, Nora Barlow WS 2/26/08
    Columbine, Pale Pink WS 2/26/08
    Columbine, Irish Elegance WS 2/26/08
    Columbine, Black Barlow WS 2/26/08
    Columbine, Leprechan Gold WS 2/26/08
    Foxglove cream WS 2/27/08
    Gaillardia, Monarch
    Gaillardia, Arizona Sun
    Allium Giganteum, WS 2/19/08
    Allium Azureum, WS 2/19/08
    Coneflower, Magnus WS 2/26/08
    Coneflower, Common WS 2/26/08
    Coneflower, Sky Sunset WS 2/26/08
    Coneflower, ArtÂs Pride WS 2/26/08
    Coneflower, White Swan WS 2/26/08
    Milkweed pink, WS 2/19/08
    Butterfly Bush, Fushia
    Butterfly Bush, Honeycomb
    Butterfly Bush, Blue/purple
    Obedient plant, white WS 2/27/08
    Obedient plant, purple WS 2/27/08
    Rose Champion, Magenta
    Lambs Ear WS 2/27/08
    Daylily ?, WS 2/18/08
    Blackberry Lily common, WS 2/18/08
    Blackberry Lily Hello yellow, WS 2/18/08
    Toad Lily WS 2/27/08
    Lupine, Russell hybrids WS 2/27/08

Annual
    Alyssum, Royal Carpet
    Alyssum, Carpet of Snow
    Rudbeckia, Autumn Colors
    Rudbeckia, Triloba
    Rudbeckia, Chim Chiminee
    Rudbeckia, Gloriosa
    Rudbeckia, Cherokee Sunset
    Rudbeckia, Burperiu
    Rudbeckia, Indian Summer
    Esperanza, yellow flower climber?
    Clown Torenia, White Blush
    Clown Torenia, Burgundy
    Clown Torenia, Lemon Drop
    Clown Torenia, Violet
    Clown Torenia, Mixed
    Four OÂclock, Mixed
    Four OÂclock, Limelight Rose
    Four OÂclock, Mauve
    Four OÂclock, Bakers dozen yellow
    Cardinal Climber
    Malva Zebrina WS 2/27/08
    Lavatera, Mallow mix WS 2/27/08
    Lavatera, Rose mallow WS 2/27/08
    Salvia mix
    Salvia, Canary Island Sage
    Salvia, Coral Nymph
    Salvia, Hummingbird sage
    Moonflower, Evening Glory
    Morning Glory, Dwarf mix
    Morning Glory, Chocolate
    Morning Glory, Chachamaru
    Marigold French Dwarf Double, mixed colors
    Marigold Petite Orange
    Marigold Crackerjack, mixed colors
    Marigold Francis Hoffmans Choice
    Dahlia, Unwins dwarf
    California Poppy Sunset mix
    Spanish Poppy Orange Double
    Poppy Lauren Springer Grape
    Poppy Ruffled Pink
    Poppy Drama Queen
    Poppy Royal Wedding
    Sunflower unknown mix
    Sunflower mixed colors
    Sunflower Sunspot (dwarf)
    Sunflower Vanilla Ice
    Snapdragon tall deluxe, mixed colors
    Helianthus, Lemon Queen
    Blue Shrimp Plant
    Poached Eggplant
    Liatris Spicata
    Sulphur Cosmos
    BirdÂs Eye
    Cypress Vine
    Holy Clover
    Love in the Mist, Oxford Blues
    Zinnia Giants of California
    Zinnia Thumbelina
    Zinnia Dwarf Pumila Sprite, mixed colors
    Zinnia Giant Cactus, mixed colors
    Zinnia Lilliput
    Zinnia White Perfection
    Zinnia Apricot Profusion

As soon as I start to feel better, I'm gonna pick up a few more bags of potting soil, I ran out already. I have the contianers, just no soil.

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Boy that is quite an impressive list you have there.
    Penny

16 years ago

Ahhh, I don't feel sick any more.

I went to Lowes today and quickly walked past the seeds, LOL. I picked up 6 cu ft of potting soil to try tackling my long list of stuff left to start. I also got 2 gallon freezer bags at Aldi's to start covering these *perfect containers I have been getting at work for everything. I think since I have the large freezer bags, I'm gonna cover the plain containers I have already put out. Will try to take a pic tomorrow of how far I've gotten.

• azhomegrown
    15 years ago

all my crops were started in the winter this year. I am kinda forced to living in arizona. We dont really even have a winter so all my stuff did great. Now im worrying about the heat.

• gardengazer37
    15 years ago

I enjoy wintersowing too! I mostly plant in gallon milk jugs or the large ice cream buckets. The buckets you can use from year to year. I do tape the milk jugs around the middle. I'm in zone 5. I like the fact that you always have some plants to share with friends after you have finished planting. I have 30 containers going now, but yet have to get my annuals planted, probably within a week or two. I need to get more soil this week so I can be prepared.

I like the idea of the wintersowing party! A friend has done it with her local girl scout troop.

Marcie

• daisydawnny
    15 years ago

I am in the Elmira area, I am new to Winter Sowing this season. Currently I have 40 containers started. I am off today from work and plan to get some more done today.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting