Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randallxski

gardens and compost

randallxski
19 years ago

I have a beginner composter question. I have a small compost area in my yard. Last fall I had too many leaves to fit in the compost area, so I piled a few feet of them onto my garden and threw some composted soil on top.

The leaves compressed down to a several inches, but they are still mostly intact. Was that too many leaves to pile on? Do I need to remove them before planting my garden?

I've already turned the garden soil over once this spring in hopes that more leaves will decompose, but planting time is less than 2 months away. What do I need to do at this point?

Comments (8)

• Lispeth
    19 years ago

I always remove any non-decomposed leaves around the base of the plants and ones that are covering newly emerging sprouts when cleaning out my beds in the spring. Otherwise I think that leaves make excellent compost and mulch.

• husky004_
    19 years ago

I put my leftovers in a garbage can and then zapped em with the weedwhacker...then spread em in the garden...worked like a charm.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

I remove the leaves, especially the oak leaves which take too long to decompose, and interfere with self-sown seedlings which I encourage. I leave some loose, crushed up leaves there for the worms, though.

Compost the rest.

• randallxski
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll rake out the clumps and put them in the compost pile. Perhaps I'll try the weedwhacker method in the fall. :)

• AbbeysDad
    19 years ago

Tilling in leaves in the spring is usually avoided as nitrogen is tied up during decomposition. Two months may very well be enough time so there won't be a problem, or you can compensate by adding fertilizer or organics to add nitrogen to compensate.
    If/when you till again just before planting (around memorial day), if you still see leaf remanants that will be your queue to add nitrogen. If the material has broken down and it just looks like good, rich earth - then all is well.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Randall,
    I have a small composting area and way too many leaves to use or put in my bin all at once. I use what I can and then fill up a few garbage bags to use in my compost pile as needed. I break them down with the lawnmower before bagging. Husky's method of using the weed wacker is good I just can't get my husband to do it so I let them break down in bags and even in one garbage can. with holes in it for ventilation.

Penny

• randallxski
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the nitrogen...I had heard a rumor about something along those lines but didn't know any details. So it sounds like I should rake out any leaf remnants before I plant, and consider mowing or mulching the leaf pile next fall. I appreciate all the help.

• gottagarden
    19 years ago

For more info, go to the soil/compost forum. THey discuss all this at length, and have some good FAQs.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!