Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Some flowers, some critters and GNOMES! :-(

The roses are hitting their 2nd flush of the year and with all the rain most of the other plants are looking pretty too too.

This is Austin's Scepter'd Isle with Fanick's Phlox. I was just about overcome with their scents when taking this photo as both are very fragrant ...

I dearly love the blended colors of Gruss an Aachen! They are truly this color as they open and fade to almost white in the summer heat. The bush is very healthy and has few thorns ...

This pretty little nymph of an unknown insect is perching on the petals of Gruss. He may be up to no good, but is a pretty little guy. Anybody know what he'll be when he grows up? ...

The black swallowtail caterpillars were doing well on the fennel I planted for them -- until a mini sherman's tank was seen pushing over the plants to get at them. Oh well ...

This is one of the tanks enjoying a bite of mellon for dessert here ...

I was surprised to find no less than three gnomes in the garden! Two of them looking very innocent ...

And this older one with a wheel barrow pretending to do some work so I won't pitch him out ... :-)

It's so much fun when a new plant shows it's first flower! This is a Brazilian Button Bush passed along to me by Patty ...

And for the finale here's the Stripped Beauty Canna. It's a short plant and one of my favorites, but after the drought of 2008 I was down to one plant. Upon moving it to a new spot it multiplied nicely. Since I found out cannas will bloom the same year from seed I'm planning on saving and planting the seeds from this one to trade at the fall SAPS ...

Thanks for looking. Hope you're all enjoying your gardens as much as I am!

Comments (15)

• rcnaylor
    13 years ago

Lovely, lovely, LOVELY Roselee. Thanks.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Very pretty, the roses are beautiful.

Those gnomes are cute and so innocent looking in the daytime.

• remuda1
    13 years ago

Beautiful Roselee :). Love the roses and for someone that "Doesn't like roses", I am sure managing to collect a few of them! I may have to look for that Gruss Achoooo one :)

Kristi

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your comments folks!

Kristi, the name of that rose does sound like a sneeze ... hahaha!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I posted the picture of the insect above poised on the rose petal and got this reply:

Posted by hortster (My Page) on Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 19:31

This is a good one, most likely assassin bug. Comes up frequently. Chomps on those we would rather not have in the garden.

• ibheri
    13 years ago

Hi Roselle, Beautiful. Inspired by your roses I subscribed to the Houston Rose Society to learn more about growing roses locally. There were times when I bought plants without paying much attention to what kind of rose it is but now i am learning more through this forum. Thanks much for sharing.

• remuda1
    13 years ago

Sigh.....I have emailed Weston Gardens to see if they have the Achoooo in stock and also an EarthKind rose named Penelope that was absolutely breathtaking in the rose trial garden at the Demonstration garden this year.

The trial roses are not watered, deadheaded, fertilized or in any way altered or "helped" by humans. They are planted and left on their own other than maintaining the mulch in the beds. It has been so interesting to see which of the earthkind roses perform the best. Detailed records are made each month on the health and appearance of the roses. It's a great project but dang it......"I don't like roses". LOL, I'll be the only gardener I know with a garden full of plants that "I don't like"!

Kristi

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

Very pretty, Roselee. I really like the first rose and phlox. It won't be long before you will have Brazilian Buttons to share with all your garden friends. Ha!Ha! Don't worry, the ones you don't want are very easy to pull up.
    Jim

• carrie751
    13 years ago

I was thinking the same thing about the Brazilian Button, Jim.............and they ARE easy to pull up except when they are in the cracks of the concrete. Just ask Lin, who tried and tried to get one here at my house, and we finally just gave up. It grew, bloomed beautifully, but decided one year was enough.
    Your garden is beautiful and looks so healthy ........as compared to the many bugs and worms infesting my area.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So Brazilian Button Bush is one of those kind, huh Jim? Well, some of us with oak/rock/deer need plants that that ... LOL!

Ibheri, I really enjoyed attending the meetings at the local Rose Society here in San Antonio. I met some very good friends there. Most rose clubs, even though formed mainly for hybrid tea rose exhibition, have members who are primarily interested in shrub and antique roses. You might want to seek them out.

Kristi, there is just something about having roses in a flower garden that adds a certain elegance and warmth, even if you don't like them, at first, that is. They 'grow' on you!

Carrie, I'm surprised myself that I don't have more bugs. It seems that after a few years of mostly organic gardening the good bugs are keeping the baddies in check. I don't even have thrips right now, and plus they say that organic fertilizer builds healthier plants that are able to develop strong defenses again bug attacks. Not that I don't have a few. Squash bugs have already killed the squash plants. I should have used row covers. Next time I will.

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

Oh, don't misunderstand, Roselee. I like my Brazilian Buttons. Just giving you a heads up that it is prolific.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay thanks Jim. I was kind of wondering where I should place it and even if I should plant it out at all. Does it get bushy? Do you happen to have any pictures of it handy?

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

I definitely resemble Roselee's remark! Yep, I'm the one who actually wants invasives, spreaders, and "nuisance" plants.

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

Roselee, checking my files, I only found pictures of single blooms, nothing that shows the plants form. Yes it does grow into a small bush. I only have it in one bed. It comes up kind of late. I usually leave 2 or 3 plants and they will pretty well fill in the mid height level in that bed.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jim!

For anyone looking for Gruss an Aachen rose there is a sport, Pink Gruss an Aachen, aka Irene Watts, that is very good! It's just a little darker pink and looks like the original Gruss when it first opens for a longer period of time.