Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Tired and retired ...

I've been retired since '07, but my gardening shoes have 'aged on my feet' as a friend expressed it, and resisted retirement until the duck tape and gorilla glue no longer held them together. Bob said I should document the momentous occasion of their being thrown out (much to his reief :-). Do you have gardening shoes that look worse than these? If so I'd like to see them ... LOL!

While outside on this beautiful cool morning I took some photos of a couple of nicer looking views than the above ...

A plant combo that turned out nicely ...

Succulent and cactus plants recently potted up ...

These are some of the pots that were purchased at Garden Ridges 75% off sale ...

Isn't this cooler weather a welcome relief! I expect the roses and other plants including veggies will respond soon by offering a nice crop of blooms and produce.

What plants are doing the best for you right now? I'd love to hear which ones in case I'm missing something :-)

Comments (6)

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Those shoes are ready to go, I hope you found replacements that work for you.

Love the new planters and your garden is looking great. Looks like cinnamon bunny cactus is taking hold nicely. My favorite plants need a few more days.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Beautiful, as always, Roselee...........even the shoes to which I can relate.........LOL> The surprise in my garden this year has been the iresine. I bought a few of these to put color in a filtered area, and they have outdone themselves. If you want a great accent plant, I highly recommend these. My brugs are beginning to flush with the cooler weather (59 at my house this morning), but the heat took care of most of the leaves. I am finally getting a few blooms from my firespike, but hopefully, this cooler weather will encourage them to put on a show. I had an abundance of volunteer Cora vinca this year and I just left a lot of them to bloom where they grew, and they didn't disappointment me.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shirley, the old adage is not to throw away your old shoes until you buy new ones, which I haven't done. I'll be shoe shopping tomorrow for sure.

Carrie, thanks for telling us what's going on in your garden. Incidentally, my gardening neighbor Georgianne gave me an Irisine plant this summer that she started from a cutting. I had never heard of it before, but I love that color! Do you have them planted in the ground or in pots? Whenever you get some more pictures of your fall garden send them along.

Anybody else? What's happening in your garden now that it's cooled off a bit? Like Shirley says maybe it's a little too soon to tell.

Shirley, looking forward to hearing more from you even though it's easy to keep up with what's happening in your yard via your blog Rock-Oak-Deer. Maybe not everybody knows about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shirley's blog in case you haven't seen it ...

• carrie751
    11 years ago

It is inground, Roselee, but I do plan on taking cuttings to overwinter. I had some that was given to me last year and it did not return with a very mild winter, so don't think it is winter hardy in my area.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Roselee, your garden is gorgeous; your shoes, not so much, lol! I bought garden clogs from Gardener's Supply about 4 years ago, love them, easy to slip in and out of, and they are tough, hold up great.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you OG! I found some very comfortable shoes at Academy, but I went ahead and looked up the clogs on Gardener's supply. It's looks like with those you'd be able to hose down your feet while watering. I like that. Might have to get some of those too.

Just for fun here's another photo. What do you think of the new critter?

I'm keeping him behind bars for now ;-)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz