Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fagopher

Another newbie question...

fagopher
15 years ago

First of all, I am new to this forum and to vermi-composting... I got interested in this because it does not make much sense to me that we need to throw all the food scraps from my home... (at least that is my excuse :) )

I have been reading a bit about it and also found this forum, and I hope you don't mind if I ask silly questions here..

I just bought the Gusanito worm factory (5 trays) and 2 pounds of worms. I received the WF but not yet the worms... I am guessing they want to be sure I have everything ready when the worms get here...

As I think you all know the instructions are not very well detailed. It says I need to soak in water the coconut coir... how long before I get the worms? can I do this the same day I get the worms?

Also, I bought the 5 tray to ensure I get enough space later on... but after reading the instructions, would I ever need the 5 trays at all? I mean I can always take the bottom tray when they migrate to the upper levels .. so .. 2 or 3 would be good enough? what I am missing here?

And my last question for now is.. I need to keep it outside on a shaded area (I cannot dream my wife letting it be inside :) ).. I have night visitors that dig holes in my yard looking for bugs (I am pretty sure an opossum). Am I risking the worms and the GWF leaving it outside for creatures coming looking for something to eat?

Thanks for your help

Comments (7)

• fosteem1
    15 years ago

You should set up your bin at least a week before the worms arrive. Mix in a little food, don't get carried away a cup is enough. You need to get your micro heard growing so there is something for the worms to eat when they arrive. If there is food in the bin the worms are more likely to stay inside. You can mix the food into the bedding before the worms are added without any problems.

Having a larger number of trays will enable you to have easier harvests. If you can wait long enough to allow the compost to finish up (that's the hard part). If you do wait there should be fewer worms in the bottom tray when you do harvest. You will be able to allow the bottom trays to process to finer vermicompost.

When the worms migrate to the upper level they don't all go in mass. A large amount stays behind for a long time eating the food that is too small for us to see. In some WF they never all go up. In any case the lower trays will have a lot of eggs in them. You will be able to wait until they hatch out and move up before harvesting. The more trays you have the more eggs are able to hatch out and the faster you population will grow.

When your worm population gets larger they will take up more trays. That is you will have the working tray. More than one tray with half finished compost in it. One tray with hatching eggs and another that is finished. Or that is how it is supposed to go.

I cant help with the outside critters. Perhaps someone else can.

• folly_grows
    15 years ago

Welcome, fagopher.

The question about having too many tiers depends on how many worms you start with and the amount of kitchen scraps you are trying to process. We're a family of two and eat a lot of veggies. I began with the 3-tier GWF last June and about 2,750 worms. Also placed it in a covered area outside. By October my freezer was half-filled with bags labelled "Worm Food." I started thinking about ordering more trays. But then came the winter and the worms became less active.

After my third harvest I was down to two working trays. However, in order to provide better ventilation (I was having a lot of problems with mites), I filled the topmost tray with only shredded newspaper.

It is definitely Spring here. Yesterday I noticed a huge number of active, young worms in the middle/working tray, so added more bedding and food to the top/third tray.

Listen to fosteem1 about setting up the bin before the worms arrive. The food needs to decompose. Some compost would also contain the micro-critters the worms love.

A well-run bin shouldn't smell bad (don't add broccoli or cabbage at the beginning) so the marauders might not find it. Do they go after your garbage can?

• fagopher
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you for your input. I had it prepared now.. so i guess all I need to do is wait for the worms to arrive :)

No, the marauders don't go after the garbage cans... In fact I (and most of mi neighbors) don't let the can out overnight. I guess that is good.

I have seen many references to frozen food.. is it to store it only or it has decomposing purposes?

Thanks

• beebiz1960
    15 years ago

It is just for the purpose of storing the food until it is needed.

• fosteem1
    15 years ago

Freezing the food helps break down to food into an easier to eat form. And freezing also kills any fruit fly eggs that happen to get deposited in the food.

• fosteem1
    15 years ago

That should have read..

Freezing the food helps to break down the food into an easier to eat form.

Dyslexia strikes again.

• beebiz1960
    15 years ago

Sorry, fosteem1... I forgot to mention that! Thanks for taking up my slack!

Oh, I've been cixelsyD most of my life! And, I now have the CRS disease (Can't Remember Squat)!! LOL!!

Robert