Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Dogs, shade and want a lawn...

cynthianovak
15 years ago

Am I asking too much...grins. Seriously, I was looking at the syntetic turf sites a few days ago but am neighter rich ($8 sq FT) nor willing to vacuum the leaves nor want to have the heat of plastic and rubber where the dogs sleep.

I thought about making part of the yard decomposed granite, but that would be hard...and maybe as dusty as what I have.

Thought about mulching the whole thing, but that would be hard to spot the dog doo on.

Thought about seeding with horse herb and frog fruit and hopefully one would work in shade and the other in the patch of sun.

Wondered about some possible new grass I haven't heard of.

any thoughts or experiences???

thank you

c

Comments (9)

• melvalena
    15 years ago

Can you hire someone to limb up the trees and thin them out?

We have to do that every other year too keep the grass growing. Hopefully, now that they've been limbed up higher we won't have to do it as often.

• llp_gardener
    15 years ago

There is a fairly new variety of St Augustine called Amerishade that is suppose to do better in shady areas. I put some in last summer so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but it seems to be doing pretty good in most of the yard. The only area that is not doing well is a corner that is in deep shade.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    15 years ago

I think the part of the equation that's most important is the dog - if there's an active dog outside on lawn that's in the shade, I think it will be difficult to keep it looking good.

In my back yard (morning sun only) I had a similar problem, plus a slope. I had a retaining wall built, then put mulch on the upper half, gravel on the lower half. Most of the dogs prefer to poop on the gravel and lay on the mulch (but my dogs are generally only out when I'm out there).

So my recommendation is to forego grass in a shady area if the dogs are there quite a bit.

• bjb817
    15 years ago

While it runs about 1/3rd more expensive than St. Augustine, Zoysia may be a good choice for your situation. When we bought our house, we had a nice mix of Bermuda, St. Augustine and bare spots due to shade from overgrown trees. We've since removed the low hanging branches to let more light in and replaced everything with "El Toro" Zoysia. It's performed well so far, even with our big mutts running around. :^)

One caveat I will admit is that the Zoysia does seem to be thicker in sunnier areas, but still holds its own in the shade.

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

new variety of St Augustine ? I have st. augustine in an area that is full shade at most it gets one hour of sun, then I have S.A. under tress but dog and people traffic that does not do as well. The S.A. that does the worse is under a Live Oak tree it's the death of any grass is what I was told by Mike at Mikes nursery two years ago. I have to rake the leaves and keep it clear for the grass to do ok.

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

You might try a grass Texas Tech helped develope. Its called Shadow Turf. I don't know how well it might take the dog traffic, but, they say it will do shade better than most grasses.

I think Dchall tried some a couple of years ago in San Antonio. You might e-mail him and see how his did.

If you try it, let us know how it does.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shadow Turf

• maden_theshade
    15 years ago

The horseherb is terrific in the shade! I've never tried the seed. I would look for patches you can dig up little plugs of it to transplant. I always see it in the outskirts of shopping center parking lots.

I think once you have it established, it will hold up to the dog traffic pretty well. Though I'd think about putting down mulch on their 'path'.

I always see frogfruit in full sun. It will probably grow in some shade, just may not bloom.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

Horse herb always looks better than turf under trees. BTW, trees and grass compete. They both lose. Having grass under your trees shorten thier lives and stresses the grass too. PJ

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you All! There is one really big pecan tree. I might be able to have it limbed up a little, but it really looks like a grand tree. And I'm such a procrastinator...

There is an old sprinkler system under the yard. If we replace the sod, we'd have to replace it too. During the summers, I water the trees, but could also use a big sprinkler and do the yard.

The one really dry summer, the horse herb was the only thing that made it, it would have looked much better if it had been watered.

At this moment...or how the breeze blows today. I'm thinking about having some company rather than ME this time, set in some of that black plastic edging and fill the really shade area under the neighbor's myrtles (they are gorgeous) and around one side of the yard and have it filled with mulch.

I'll have them dig up the area on the sunnier side (not a lot of sun) and I'll plant turks cap and Salvia Black and blue according to amount of sun.

I'll find some horse herb seed and toss it everywhere, after THEY'VE raked up the stones that have fallen off our 50's white rock covered roof and have THEM tote the rocks over to the side of the yard where all the shade is and mulch all around the house where there were concrete edged beds poured decades ago and where I've pulled out loads of english ivy.

pj....I've been wondering where you were. ARe you still running and running?

thank you all, if you know anything about seeding horseherb please let me know. I have moved clumps around and yes, I'm prepared for neighbors to think I've gone further over the edge.

smiles
    c