Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluelake_gw

Have a question about moldy cantelope.

bluelake
13 years ago

I have a large bag of old cantelope rinds in my garage. The bad is tied tight, but the rinds are getting a white mold on them. They've been in there approx. 2 weeks. Is this safe to give to the worms? I plan to add the rest to my larger outdoor compost bin when I get the energy to lift the bag!

I seem to have read conflicting statements on this.

Thanks in advance?

Comments (5)

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

They should be fine as long as they have not gone anaerobic. If they stink, I would not feed them to the worms.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

While trying to not covet my neighbors moldy canteloupe rinds... I so love sbryce's posts and agree with them 100% and disagree with them 100% at the same time. All of his advise is very good. (You should listen to him. I would and do. Ok I don't but then in the back of my mind the whole time is "Sbryce is probably right and you are probably wrong, you know.") And then there is my advice. If that bag springs a leak you are in trouble. You are going to need some mega cardboard or other carbon. And fruit fly hinderance methods. If I had a bin of vermicompost aging (letting the baby worms grow a bit for easier handling) I would scoop a few cups of liquid out for them if their medium was drying putting it towards an edge. A thin layer on part of an indoor bin covered massively with cardboard or carbon of your choice. This is if it smells or not. Anerobic decomposition starts the second air is added reguardless of how much has decomposed non anerobic. Maybe worms die because they are in the wet parts of bins because non anerobic beasties taste better than anerobic beasties. The bag will still be pretty heavy. The rest I would try to get to the outdoor compost without the bag breaking and add massive carbon above and maybe even some below. Then wait for your efficient BSFL workers outdoors if you are luckly. You might want to have W-4 Forms and pens ready for them.

• randomz
    13 years ago

Hey Ex2 - Just to clarify the aerobic/anerobic stuff.

Aerobic = with air.
    Anerobic = without air.

So non-anerobic is actually not-without-air, or with-air, or Aerobic.

And to be on topic, I would add some, but not too much in one hit.

• steamyb
    13 years ago

If the bag is too heavy, add the worms to the bag. I would guess the amount of rinds and add 3X shredded cardboard and worms. Open the top of the bag and forget about it for a couple of months. When you go back the rinds will be reduced 7 or 8/1 and will be great castings and fat worms. I forgot about a bag of "finished" castings on my patio last summer and when I realized what was in that bag 2 months later, I found worms and some very finished poo. This bag was sealed with a wire tie and in the sun for part of the day. Wurmz iz tuff!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

randomz you are so right! I am laughing at myself now. What randomz says. Either I did know what I was saying or how to spell it or both. I did pause for a second when I was writting it and tilt my head because I could not remember the word for without oxygen because I had already used it to mean with oxygen.