Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Handy tool ...

I may have mentioned this before, but it bears mentioning again -- a battery operated hedge trimmer. Mine is a 16 in. Craftsman and is light enough to hold with one hand to cut off the dead foliage on perenial plants. I just used it to clean up the foliage in a looong planter of asparagus fern and blue plumbago, also for knocking down the dead stuff on shrimp plants.

It will do light trimming on hedges, but for heavy hedge work I haul out the heavier electric hedge trimmers.

I also could not do without the battery operated leaf blower. As well as blowing leaves off the walks and patio I even use it to blow the leaves out of the house that the dogs track in. I have tile floors in the living areas.

Do you have a favorite tool you want to tell us about? I don't want to miss out on anything that saves on yard work.

Comments (3)

• ladybugfruit
    13 years ago

I just discovered the scuffle hoe and am loving it with all of the many weeds that are eating my soon to be mulched beds(so hopefully the weeds will be "scuffled" and smothered)!

• etxhippie
    13 years ago

I've had my scuffle hoe for a lot of years...it was a hula hoe when I first got it. It's my second best tool in the garden....my hands are first. I've almost had to shoot a couple of friends that watched me use my hoe and then wanted it for themselves. I like to sharpen mine after using it a few times just to keep it cutting through those weeds.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ladybug and ET. It's great to know about the scuffle hoe. I wonder how it would work on all the larkspur seedlings coming up through the gravel in the paths?

Another handy gadget that I've been using today is a moisture meter to check to see if any of the pots needed watering. They didn't. You can check the moisture in garden beds and lawns too. They were only about $5.00 when I got one for the front yard and one for the back yard several years ago.

Another thing (I've mentioned before) that I've found very handy to use is the child size rake, hoe, and shovel. They are very light and easy to use when you don't need the big guys. I use the shovel most of all and bought one for the door prize table at the SAPS coming up April 2.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES