Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adp_abq

english ivy leaves browning suddenly

adp_abq
17 years ago

I have some english ivy against a wall in mostly shade. They've been there about 3 seasons. All of a sudden the leaves started turning brown and shriveling up and it started spreading to other plants. Anyone know the cause of this? The plants get regular water (soil is usually moist).

Comments (7)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Did you check near the base of the vines (whereever that might be in the ground) to see if they got cut somehow (maybe accidently weed-wacked or mowed or chewed)?

• pooja_t
    17 years ago

Are you sure it's getting no direct sunlight? I ask because you say 'mostly in shade'. My English Ivy got direct sun for half a day and started turning brown. I moved it back to complete shade and it seems to be doing ok. Also maybe the wall is becoming very hot and burning the leaves that touch it?

• pooja_t
    17 years ago

Kayjones, seems like you are somewhere in the northeast :)
    In tropical climates, ivy is probably a fussy plant.
    Adp_abq, another tip besides moving it in complete shade is to make sure it's roots are not exposed above the surface of the soil. In that case, you would need to put more soil and make sure the roots are covered.

• lilion
    17 years ago

Hello! I've noticed the same browning/dying of my english ivy that is growing up a large oak tree in my yard. I have a large ant colony in that bed that I've never been able to eradicate and I was wondering if they could be killing it. It's about 3 years old and looked great until now. Could it be getting too much sun just because the leaves aren't out yet? It's been in the 60's and 70's here already, but this hasn't ever happened before!

And for those who worry so...I keep it clipped well back, never let it get big enough to flower and burn the clippings so they don't spread.

• ereeves
    17 years ago

I have a well-maintained ivy bed in my yard -- used to be nice dark green throughout. Lost a large crab apple tree last year, now all the ivy that used to surround the tree (probably a 10-foot diameter circle, and seems to be expanding) is dead. I also want to remove some forsythia in the ivy bed and replant with something else, but afraid of killing the ivy. Any recommendations on how to revive the ivy and to prevent further loss? Thanks!!

• lilion
    17 years ago

Today I noticed that my ivy has no leaves about 3' up the tree and the other 2-3' at the top still does, but it's not looking too good. The ivy at the base of the tree is also looking quite bad. I'm just not sure what to do with it.