Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Passiflora foetida Corona de Cristo

ruthz
10 years ago

First bloom today. Wanted to show anyone that got a start of this at the Denton Plant Swap.

Comments (10)

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

Yours looks a bit different from mine. Mine is Passiflora foetida var. gossypifolia...maybe that's why.

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

Yours looks a bit different from mine. Mine is Passiflora foetida var. gossypifolia...maybe that's why.

{{!gwi}}

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It does look different. I hope mine is what it was labeled.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous bloom. I'd have to say it was well worth the wait.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

Ruth, yours is beautiful and I'm so glad I got a start!

However, I think Linda's is Passiflora foetida (corona de cristo) - see the little fruit forming in the "crown"? The fruit will turn red when ripe...

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think your right Lin, and the fruit is the main reason I wanted it. I looked at the picture at Natives of Texas and it doesn't look like mine. I'm going to be very disappointed if it doesn't have red fruit with the lacy encasement.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

My passiflora foetida is still tiny, just coming back. How did yours get so big so early? Mine is like Linda's. Linda...when was your photo taken? If now, what is your secret to the growth? Did it freeze to the ground like mine?

thank you c

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My plant is in a large container (20 to 25 gal. size) against a wall. I cut it back but I can't actually remember if it died back or not after that. It's been green and growing for a while. Shoots keep coming up around the pot. I think I dug 3 for the swap, and there's 2 or 3 more up.
    I bought it at Natives of Texas in October 2011 and didn't get flowers last year, although the plant did grow a lot.

• phoenix7801
    10 years ago

Sorry Ruth but you have passiflora incarnata or the maypop. The leaves are the dead giveaway.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I like it, no matter what it is, Ruth...........very pretty.