Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

Falll Blooming Asters

carrie751
11 years ago

Anyone else have blooms on theirs at this time???

Comments (13)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Nope, not my Asters, but I don't know how many times I've deadheaded my mums but they are just determined they're going to bloom.

I've heard that Asters should be cut back in late June, is that right?

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Yes, Carrie. Mine are blooming and have been for a month.
    Jim

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this common for yours to do this, Jim? It is the first time mine have bloomed this early. I also saw blooms on my Copper Canyon daisy this morning.
    Sheryll, I do not cut my fall blooming aster back in June. It freezes back in the winter and I cut it back after that.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

First time here also, Carrie. The mums always bloom in the spring and again in the fall, but not the asters. I have Philippine violets, which are normally a fall bloomer here, putting on blooms too.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

The fall blooming aster bloomed here a few weeks ago. Copper canyon daisy has also been flowering since early spring as has Senna corymbosa that Carrie recommended. Shall we give the spring rains after a mild winter credit?

BTW, mums I've had through the years often bloomed spring and fall. The dark red one I have now passed along by Barbra is blooming.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All of my mums bloom now and in the fall EXCEPT the old fashioned ones that are not upright, and they bloom only in the fall. The color of this one that I have is white with a yellow center, and I find it quite attractive. It is definitely a "pass along" plant, and I am sure I have had it for many, many years.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Well, then, I'll just let the mums bloom! My Copper Canyon Daisy isn't blooming.

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

My asters are starting to bloom as well. Hope this doesn't stop them from blooming in fall whey they are really needed.

Teri

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Carrie ~

Could this be another result of our no-hard-freeze winter? (along with early and worse allergens, and worse bug activity, etc)

~ freshair

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really don't know, Amy, but that is certainly a possibility...........not the norm for the plants and they are responding in this manner. And I agree, Teri, I hope this doesn't mean they won't bloom in the fall.......I so look forward to their beauty at that time of the year.

• aufelipe
    11 years ago

I think it's normal for mums to try to bloom now. Folk wisdom says pinch those buds off until July 4th. Then let them bloom.
    I too have seen a few scattered blooms on Autumn Aster, which I assume is from the odd seasons this year. Don't know what, if anything, you're supposed to do about that. . .

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I meant to respond to this earlier. My Aster laevis or smooth leaved aster is blooming but not the Aster oblongifolius. It's been doing this for a couple of years and I still get a nice flush in the fall too.

Pam

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is good to know, Pam, as this is the first time mine has bloomed in the Spring.