Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureperson_gw

Rhodie and Azalea planted in the woods

natureperson
19 years ago

I planted a rhodie and an azalea just inside my woods last fall. It's an area right around the front part of my shed, which has been tucked back into the woods just slightly. It gets shade with a little filtered sun.

My concern is that the soil where my new plants sit is not very good. Tends to be a little wet at times even though I have built up the soil there somewhat. What would you suggest I do to give the plants a good soil? Can I build it up even more? I figured I'd give it a while longer before I decide they aren't going to make it.

Comments (3)

• nacnud
    19 years ago

Hi.
    I'm a new member of this web, but I saw your posting, and figured hey, why not answer?
    Rhodedendrons and Azaelias like shade/partial shade, and both don't mind things a bit wet once in a while.
    If your shrubs aren't doing well, the chances are that the soil they are in is not acidic enough. Both of these shrubs need acidic soil.
    To find out if this is the case, you can buy a soil ph test kit at most good landscaping/garden stores - it'll set you back anywhere from $10.00 to $30.00.
    If the soil is lacking acidity, there are many commerical fertilizers that will fix this. Also, you can try these:

1. Distilled white vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons per gallon of water, and soak the roots for about a month.

2. Lemon and/or lime juice in the water, same deal.

3. Urine.

4. citrus peel mulch dug in around the roots after feeding with acid fertilizer.

5. oak bark mulch dug in around the roots after feeding with acid fertilizer.

Just be careful not to give them too much acid, which is just as bad!

• natureperson
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi nacnud, Welcome to GardenWeb. I'm glad you posted.

You gave me some new ideas that I had never heard of. I had sprinkled some Hollytone around the plants and added some more compost to the area. Also, after all the leaves are on my woodland trees, they will get more shade than they have been getting lately, so that may help. I'm also considering planting a hemlock behind these plants to help block any sun they get when the trees are bare.

Thanks a lot for your great suggestions.

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Hi Nacnud and welcome.
    Those are great acidifying ideas. there is also a commercial product called Miracid- made by the MiracleGro people. I use coffee grounds around acid loving plants too, although you'll find no end of debate on whether they really add acid or if they're pH neutral.

Something odd, but true: We are in heavily wooded/part sun area and every single rhodie I have that gets alot of sun does so much better blooming and growing. Those in mostly or part shade are slow and leggy and lacking in blooms. One I had to move for a new deck 3 years ago got dragged smack dab into the full sun garden where it sits today blooming like crazy.

Is it the variety of rhodie that makes some do better in sun than shade?

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County